• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

benazzas

Registered
Hello, I have AMD Athlon 64 3500+ (Venice) processor and I've tried to OC it. Well I went up to 2.60GHz but I've had problems after that. Guys what do you need to know so you can say how much can I go up to ? And how to check that stuff. So you can tell me what settings should I add.

redduc900

Inactive Moderator
The first thing you should do is post your system spec's in detail, including a direct link to your specific RAM showing SPD timings and default voltage at their rated frequency.

OP
B

benazzas

Registered

QuietIce

Disabled
:welcome: to OCForums!

Good information! It would help to have a shot of CPU-Z's SPD tab. This tells us the stock settings for your RAM.

You should also check your core temp (temperature) by using Prime95 & CoreTemp OR OCCT to stress your CPU to 100% for your temp reading. Your core temp shouldn't exceed 55°C or so.
OCCT
Prime95
CoreTemp

To start, you should manually set the following in BIOS:
vCore (CPU voltage) to 1.40v
vDIMM (RAM voltage) to what's shown in SPD
RAM timings to what's shown in SPD
RAM speed to 166
HT Link multiplier (may be labeled CPU <-> NB or something similar) to 3X

That's your beginning. Now raise the CPU frequency (clock speed - stock is 200 MHz) by 10 MHz and stress test for 3 min - check the core temp while doing this. If everything is good raise the clock another 5 MHz and stress. Repeat this procedure until the stress test fails or you reach 55°C for your load temp.

While you're doing that you might browse through this thread and follow it pretty much step for step. You can skip the part about the HT link multiplier, just leave it at 3x for now. This is the same way I learned to OC and it's very simple to learn - though it does take time. Just be sure to write everything down at first. It not only helps you learn faster, it's also a good reference for later.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=391768

Good luck and get back to us on your first steps ...! :)

OP
B

benazzas

Registered
Ok, I have just downloaded OCCT and launched it for 10 minutes (don't know if that's enough though..) And here's the result http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/8375/cpu.png . Well somewhy few days ago Bios show around 30°C. And for all those CPU Frequency etc. I don't really know where it is.. I only know where are FSB,CPU Voltage,Multiplier. But I really can't find anything else. You can see my Bios version in those photos I posted in my post above.

QuietIce

Disabled
CPU frequency and FSB in your BIOS should be the same thing. Do the options for FSB start at 200 and increase?

CPU multiplier should be set to the maximum, 11X.

RAM timings should be on the same page as the RAM speed - maybe something with MemClock at the top of the page? (At least that's what my older ASUS labeling is like)

RAM voltage may also be labeled DDR voltage, DIMM voltage, or something like that.

HT link multiplier may be labeled HT link speed or frequency.

All boards are a little different with labeling. Do you have a motherboard manual? If not, ASUS usually has those available on-line.

That temp is a little high for stock. What CPU cooler are you using ...?

Zerix01

few days ago Bios show around 30°C. And for all those CPU Frequency etc. I don't really know where it is..

You can not go by the temp listed in the BIOS. That is your idle temp. (and yeah that does sound high for idle). You need to get monitoring software to get the current CPU temp under a high load, like using OCCT like you did. I would also suggest running any stress tests for much longer than ten minutes. Ten minutes is alright if you are still playing with settings and just want to know if it is stable enough to continue, but once you are are ready to know if it is really stable, I suggest running any tests for 12 - 24 hours and watch the temps for at least the first half hour to make sure they are not out of control.

If your idle temps are really around 30C then you may want to check your heatsink seating. Is everything latched down correctly? Did you use an after market heatsink and heatsink compound? Stock heatsink? Good case air flow?

OP
B

benazzas

Registered
Well I could tell you what are my coolers if I would know how to check it. Anyone can tell me how to check what coolers do I have?

QuietIce

Disabled
If you just give us a basic description of it we might be able to figure it out.

- Is the fan horizontal? (parallel to the board)
- Does it have heatpipes? (copper colored "tubes" around it) If so, how many?
- How big is the CPU fan - roughly? (3", 3.5", 4" - 70/80/92/120mm)