• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with PCIE Lanes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sand dan Glokta

Registered
Hey guys, I have a question.
So I'm planning on a build this summer and ran into something that I need help with.

I'm planning on running an i7 6700k, asus maximus 8 hero, gtx 1080 or 1070, ASUS Wi-Fi PCI Express Adapter, and an m.2 ssd.

Since the 6700k allows a max of 16 PCIE lanes, will that be enough for what i want to run?
Since the gpu takes up x16 and the m.2 takes up x4 and the WiFi adapter takes x1, will it cause my hardware to not perform efficiently? And also if later in the future i want to run dual gpu's?

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
generaly the PCIE 3.0 lanes will before the x16 slots for dual gpu setups running at 8x/8x on mainstream boards. the things like M.2 and the asus wifi will runn off the pch's PCIE lanes. there is more then enough to go around..

OP
Sand dan Glokta

Sand dan Glokta

Registered
So the gpu's will run off the cpu's x16 and the m.2 and the asus wifif will run off the z170 x20 lanes?
Just to make sure that I got it.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Its plenty.

As evil said, the M.2 slots runs off the PCH PCIe lanes while the GPU runs on the CPU PCIe lanes, yes.

[email protected]

It'll Be alright. Even if everything ran on the CPU PCI lanes it would be something like : GPU x8PCIe lanes, m.2 x4PCI lanes, wifi adaper x1PCI lanes.
So dont worry! :)