• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with RAID

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheMainFrame

So im sitting here at work where the power company is messing with the jumpers and such and they killed the power to my servers. After the power was back up I restarted on my Dell servers and everything was working fine.

I also have a ALR 9200 Gateway server that is running as an SQL server and when i started it up and walked away i returned to a "No Operating System Found" After some looking around i noticed that my number 4 drive was showing as failed and it wasent showing the size of the drive or what not just that it was not responding. So i purchased what was suppose to be a cmpatable drive that is a bit larger but thats fine. However when i put in the drive the new drive is showing up as failed. It lists the serial number and the correct size of the drive as well as the manufactorer. Is there a step im missing? Im not very knowledable about RAID arrays but it was my understading that when i put in the new drive and clicked the power that it would rebuild the drive.

Perhaps im missing a step?

OP
TheMainFrame

TheMainFrame

tuskenraider said:
Check the RAID card BIOS for a "Rebuild Array" option.

OK found a "Rebuild" option and i tried to choose the new drive and it said that the drive was not part of the array. Is that a diffrent option then the "Rebuild Array" option you spoke of?

Perhaps i need to tell it that this new drive is part of the array, but im not sure how i might do this with this bios.

OP
TheMainFrame

TheMainFrame

Athually i got another drive I wanted to try but i was wondering if you can mix Ultra SCSI drives with a Ultra 2 SCSI drive? it would be optimal since its already the same size as the rest of the drives and would love to use this one rather than one that 6x bigger then it needs to be

OP
TheMainFrame

TheMainFrame

Well I learned that the Ultra 2 is downward compatable... and this drive definatly works..

It still shows it as a failed drive, and when i choose to rebuild it it says its not part of a redundant array and therfore cannot be rebuilt...

I replaced the SCSI cable just in case that could have been an issue..

Now im lost again

Ebola

Senior Toilet Scrubber
You probably could have rebuilt the array with the disk that showed up as bad. Sometimes the disks aren't really bad but the array just had errors on that disk.