• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with recovering files from a HDD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SubPar

Ok so here goes...
i decided to swap cpu/mobo/ram in my htpc and my wifes computer to give her a much better and quicker experience with her day to day activities (side bonus of not having to disable [email protected] while shes browsing and watching vids :D ).
so i moved everything over and then i realized that it probably wasnt the best idea ive ever had, as neither one of the computers would boot, in hind sight and after some browsing i realized this was NOT a good idea, at least how i went about it.
needless to say i reformated my HTPC, no big deal not much on it and easily done.
the problem im having now is in trying to get pictures off of the hard drive in my wifes computer, i tried putting it in my rig so i could move files to it but everytime i try and initialize the drive it give me a "request could not be performed because of an i/o device error" and its starting to make me smashy lol. i tried 3 different sata cables 2 of which are guaranteed aok, ive tried multiple sata ports and everytime it gives me the error message. each time i switch sata ports it installs the drivers and i feel the drive spinning.
im at a loss, and i know the drive was fine before i swapped components, could i have borked it in the process? i pretty much need to get these pictures off as i am partial to keeping my chestnuts attached to my body and losing 9+ months of baby pics and videos will ensure slow and painful removal :cry:
any help is truly appreciated, thanks in advance :salute:

Mpegger

Is the drive visible in the bios?

Wish I could come up with more, but that particular message, and the fact that you already tried different SATA cables and ports, just makes me cringe...

OP
SubPar

SubPar

Yes it does. Its visible anyway. Says the drive is 0 gb though.

OP
SubPar

SubPar

HDDnightmare.JPG uhoh.JPG
just standard sata interface (AHCI), im beggining to think i borked the drive, now that im finished swearing im wondering if it will format? goshdarned it those pictures are irreplacable FIRETRUCK :mad::bang head

JrClocker

AKA: JrMiyagi
I just went through this...assuming Windows:

Set drives to IDE mode

You should be able to boot...if it gives you option for last good boot, select that.

It will take a while to boot (was about 5 mins for me).

When you get into Windows, you should be able to install the motherboard drivers.

Do the reboot thing.

Change back to AHCI in bios.

Should find the new drivers you installed.

Have to reboot 1 or 2 more times.

Good luck!

OP
SubPar

SubPar

no workie :( im beginning to think its f'd up beyond repair and i dont have a bunch of money sitting around for professional help.
i tried a work around involving getting the cmd prompt open in the system recovery options and using notepad to open " open " and tried to view the files that way, but no go :(
and now the bios isnt even seeing the hdd, set to ide or ahci

wingman99

It sounds like your drive went bad. If you think it's stuck try dropping it on the carpet to unstick it.

Mighty_Miro_WD

Western Digital Representative
Hi @SubPar!

I'm sorry to hear about what happened with the drive and that you cannot access it, I know how unpleasant it can be.

What why would suggest is to try to extract your data with Linux Live CD like @DNRDustin suggested - just download/burn the ISO image to a CD or USB and change the boot order to the media you burned the Linux on. Once it loads, you could try and mount the drive (or if Linux can read it, it will mount by itself) and see if you can transfer the files from the drive.

If it doesn't help, then contact a data recovery company and see if your information can be retrieved from the HDD. Just keep in mind that the more you use the drive and try to repair it, the worse the damage and the extraction of files may become. If you don't have any particular company in mind you can take a look at this link with few WD recovery partners:

http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=eM8Kc8

Hope this helps and best of luck!