• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with Sata issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Skitzer

Registered
I hope someone can shed some light on this issue for me.
First here's some specs:
Abit NF7-S ver 2.0 with 20 bios.
Windows XP Pro SP1 with Nvidia 2.45 unified drivers.

I recently lost my Western Digital 40 Gig hard drive and decided to upgrade with a Western Digital Raptor Drive.
Previously I was using my old WD 40 Gig as my OS boot drive and had a Maxtor 80 Gig drive set up as slave for my Data drive, (I do a lot of Audio ripping).
On IDE 2 I have my 2 optical drives, (LiteOn CD-RW and Mitsumi DVD ROM).
I left the Maxtor as a slave on IDE 1 and installed the Raptor on Sata 1. I went into the bios and enabled the Sata Controller and set the mainboard to boot off the CD-RW. It booted to the LiteOn with the Windows XP CD, I hit F6 and installed the Sata drivers during the OS install. Windows installed and loaded without a problem.
After installing Windows and all my drivers I noticed 2 things:
1. In device manager there is a yellow question mark saying Other Devices which expands to another yellow question mark saying RAID Controller.
2. In control Panel, Power Options, I no longer have the Standby and Hibernate functions.
(I wonder if these two things are related?)
I tried updating the Raid Controller drivers with the Sata Driver disk and it seems to recognize them and install them but when I reboot it hangs at the Windows boot screen and I have to restart and choose "Last Known Good Configuration" to get back into Windows.
Other than those 2 things it appears everything is working fine. I haven't benched the Raptor yet but it feels much faster than the old drive.
Also in the Control Panel there is a new Icon I have never seen before called "Silicon Image ATA Controllers" which provides information on the Raptor.
I have been screwing around with this for days and can't find a solution to this. Has anyone had this issue and if so how did you fix it. I am at my wits end and am now seeking help.
If you have any ideas Please!
Thanks in advance.

OP
Skitzer

Skitzer

Registered
Ok, figured it out. Apparently I installed the wrong drivers, (the PCI card drivers), during installation. I downloaded the correct ones and did a fresh install of Windows now it's all good.