• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with SLI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aTotallynewGuy

Registered
Hey,

I've been using my 2-way SLI GTX 780's from MSI for a good while now and played alot of different games without problems. One of my absolute favorite games to this day is War Thunder which I have played for over 550hours without any problems with SLI, up until now. After only about 20minutes in game it always crashes and I have to forcequit the PC. Usually the driver crashes and sometimes I even get BSOD. Note that the game works perfectly without SLI...

Things I have tried:
Reinstalling W7 (clean)
Trying different drivers
Lowering the graphics slightly

I'm trying to figure it out by myself before asking so I was thinking if maybe one of the cards are failing? Is there any way to determine if ine card is the problem. Because I know my primary card works fine but how can I change primary and test the other? Can it have something to do with my motherboard or any other component?

I have actually had problems with Far Cry 4 aswell. In that game there were burnt in images of everything in the background, also only when SLI was enabled. You know the type of burn-in you can get on an older plasma TV if you left it on the same picture for too long? Yea, that's what it looked like in that game with SLI.

System
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 GAMING
RAM: 16GB Corsair CL9 VengenceLP 1600MHz
CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K @ 3,5GHz
GPU's: 2x MSI GTX 780
Storage: Samsung EVO SSD and a harddrive (both War Thunder and W7 is located on the SSD)
PSU: 850W EVGA Gold+

Please HELP!! I can find no other info about this. :bang head :confused: :cry:

Try one card at a time... remove one from the system and test, if it works then try the other card and test, that should determine if one of the cards is faulty.

If they both turn out to be fine, then it's more than likely an SLI/driver problem. Has the game been updated at all? Game updates can sometimes bork multiple card setups.

FC4 is buggy all round... It doesn't even support crossfire yet, not sure about SLI tho.

if you having trouble with far cry 4 in sli, ,go into options, video ,quality settings, then turn ambient occlusion off, should get rid of the frozen frame in the shot , as to your sli problem, check 1 card at a time as sandyduff has said , :)

Now... I haven't tried to take out the cards and test each one yet (I will however) but I enabled Vsync in the game after getting this message Error 8111000A - Device Not Responding and now it doesn't crash anymore. Perhaps one of the cards (possibly the one of them giving up) is lacking behind, making the SLI go out of sync when I run them 100%. It's just a theory. I'll come back with more info later and ask more question if I need help. Thank guys :)

No problem!

It still could be the driver crapping out... when you uninstall drivers, do you boot into safe mode and use Display Driver Uninstaller to remove all traces of the old drivers? Remnants of old drivers can screw with the drivers that are installed afterwards.

Just something else for you to try :D

No problem!

It still could be the driver crapping out... when you uninstall drivers, do you boot into safe mode and use Display Driver Uninstaller to remove all traces of the old drivers? Remnants of old drivers can screw with the drivers that are installed afterwards.

Just something else for you to try :D

Well that can't be it since it also crashed after reinstalling Windows and installing fresh drivers - the latest. And as I wrote I've tried older drivers aswell.

Whenever something works fine for ages but then suddenly has problems, I find one of the best troubleshooting tactics is to try and make a list of anything that may have changed when the problem started happening. This could include driver updates, major Windows updates, adding or removing hardware, or installing new software. There's always a chance it's something you can fix with a little reconfiguration. As others have indicated though, the 2nd card is the prime suspect so test that first. If the 2nd card does appear to have problems, be sure to also test the 1st card in the 2nd slot to make sure it's the card and not the motherboard. Speaking of the motherboard, it never hurts to check for driver updates on it too.

I'd also get an OC utility such as our Xtreme Tuner Plus or MSI Afterburner and check on your temps during gameplay. There's always going to be more heat with two cards running, so make sure neither's getting too hot. Temps over 80C can negatively impact performance and anything 90C+ is cause for concern.

The problems are piling... I can't run Unigene Heaven because I'm apparently missing msvcp100.dll but if I search for it I can find it in the Windows folder. Suggestions?

Some googling suggests that the file could be corrupt... best thing to do is reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ from this link

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26999

The file will automatically download when you click the link, other people on other forums are reporting that this resolves the issue

uninstall Unigene Heaven and re-download it and run it with each card in each slot,then you,ll know which one if any is naff :)

I've tried reinstalling it 4 times now and downloaded it from different servers it still comes up with that message. Can I get that file somewhere or reinstall it?

EDIT: Nvm

Some googling suggests that the file could be corrupt... best thing to do is reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ from this link

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26999

The file will automatically download when you click the link, other people on other forums are reporting that this resolves the issue

It worked. Thank you. Now I will continue on my quest to find the ultimate answer. I may never login again (if I mess up). :salute:

So yeah. That concludes my research. It's the old card that is broken and nothing else. And a very important sidenote to everyone thinking about using MSI Gaming App: Don't. Because that's the exact reason my card is burnt. Back when I only had that one card I remember using the app. I clicked 'OC Mode' and got a bluescreen. Had to put in my 570 to get the computer back up and running again --> put the 780 back in, uninstalled the driver and got it back up 'n running again. I thought for many months that the MSI Gaming App only crashed the driver but I ses now I was wrong all this time. It actually damaged my card physicly. An app made by the same company that designed my card... *sigh* Who is there to trust? So now I have no more warranty but I will work my hardest to get refund or something for this even if I can just buy a new card I'm not going to let anyone get away with this. :D Be careful and if you guys overclock, never use "Safe" apps like this, not even from the manufacturer. Do it manually in Afterburner - much safer. Bye and out! :clap::thup::cheers::soda:

Back