• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with suspicious GPU power %

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Korph

Hello, I recently purchased a GTX 1080ti Gigabyte Aorus Extreme edition. I decided to play around with it and see how it overclocks. I should probably mention now that I'm fairly new to overclocking and I'm learning and getting experience as I go. Not far in to my overclocking endevaor i ran in to some suspicious readings in MS Afterburner.
At default, stock settings the GPU performed quite normal. The clock was fluctuating in the 1800Mhz and 1900Mhz, usage and power appeared to be normal and the temperature was in the range of 70-75c.
Since there was some headroom in the temp department I decided to do a slight overclock and raise the power limit from 100% to 120% out of the available 150% for the Aorus card. After running the same benchmarks again (as I did at the start to establish the baseline readings) I started to notice some weird behavior. After a few minutes the power % went from 100% to about 70%-80%, the temps also went down to mid 60s, but the core clock spiked up the maximum of 1999Mhz with voltage doing the same ramping up to 1,080v (while before it stayed below 1v or slightly above it), both staying there indefinetly. There was no FPS loss and the usage seemed fine also. The PSU i have is 750w Corsair RMi series which is sufficient for the GPU.

I did some further experimenting with power limit and voltage, discovering the power drop started to occur after the total power % was raised beyond 105%. The benchmarks i used for testing were Valley and 3D mark Time Spy and Fire Strike. I also decided to ran some tests with different OC profiles on my CPU(7700k) in Realbench, discovering the CPU voltage and frequnecy were irrelevant in this case. I did however found out that the GPU power drop to 70% also occured in Realbench when the default, stock settings of 100% were in place. It was the same when i started testing games -with World of Warcraf- straight to 70% with clock and voltage spiking up and the temps going down to 60s. If i increased the power limit under this circumstance the power would drop even lover in to the 40s.

Today before writing this post, I decided to record some sample logs in MS Afterburner of this occurrence, but when I tried to get a log of the increased power limit in Firestrike, It crashed after a couple of minutes and the clocks locked down to 200Mhz (yikes!) which was fixed with a simple reset, but it gave me some scare nonethelss since that never happened before under those settings.

In conclusion. My suspicion to what would be the cause of this problem would be some sort of power throttling. GPU rolling back the power, due to high temperatures somewhere on the PCB. Unlikely that it is the GPU core since the temps do not raise beyond 70s, but maybe perhaps on the VRM or power delivery side? I haven't yet done any manual thermal testing with thermocouples, I know about it but i have never done it myself on any component, so there would be a bit of a learning curve before i dive in to it.

Other than above mention theory, I'm kinda clueless to what would be causing this issue otherwise, so I'm very much interested and in the need of outside help from people with more knowledge and experience on the matter. The card is still under warranty and i can have it RMA'd if the issue is beyond my ability to resolve it.
I will really appreciate all the feedback you can provide me on this matter, thanks.

Does running the fans at 100% delay or prevent the issue?

That doesn't sound like normal behavior to me...perhaps an rma may be in order.

I ran a test now with the fan turned up to 100% on stock settings (power 100%) in Realbench and the results were the same as before. The power usage was at 70% and the clock ramped up to 2012Mhz and stayed there. Voltage was also locked on 1.050v for the whole time. Like i said the same effect would be produced with increeased power in Firestrike or Valley, but i kinda don't want to play around with it anymore, after the last crash.

I'd reach out to Giga and see what they say and start an RMA.

It's likely not a driver issue, but you have tried new drivers, correct? Uninstalled with DDU, and installed new?

Yes, the old drivers were always uninstalled with DDU. Got the card 10 days ago, so the drivers are up to date, haven't tried any older versions though. I can try, but like you said it is highly unlikely.

I have to ask, when you raised the power limit you said FPS didn't change. What were the scores like?

I mustered up some courage and went in to do some re-testing in Firestrike. I cranked up the fan from auto to 80% and slowly started increasing the power limit by 5% with each run. This time it all went smooth all the way up to 125%, at which point the power dropped to 90s and 80s and the core locked itself on 2012Mhz with voltage on 1050mv. The score in the end was 17 562. Last normal score with normal power usage at 120% was 22 171. On the previous testing from 100-125 the temps were in the 60s with the fan at 80%, but when the drop occured it dropped in to the 50s.

I've repeated the same tests for a few more times, alongside some more testing in GTA 5 and the power dropped once again at anything higher than the 105% limit even with the fans blowing at maximum RPM. The variable results appear to be quite volatile across the board. Also, i can't seem to get the clock beyond 1999Mhz, even when it is working as it should. Interesting though when the drop ocurs the core clock jumps to 2025Mhz.

Duelly noted.
If i may add one last thing. After the drop occurs dialing the settings back to 100% (In the case of Firestrike and GTA5) doesn't seem to help stabilize the performance. Only after system reset do the numbers go back to normal and power stabilizes to where it should.

Sounds like something is tripping there and not letting go. Regardless that isn't normal behavior. Ping Giga about the issue and see what they say. They will likely RMA the card.

Will certainly do that. Just out of curiosity would the power delivery from the wall, or a bad plug extension have anything to do with it by any chance? Or would the PSU filter that out regardless? Oh, this reminds me. I also tried testing with 2 different 8+8 power cables.

Those things shouldn't have anything to do with it, no. If so, your others cards would have, theoretically, behaved the same way.

Back