• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help with Temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

prettycoolguy47

I just upgraded to P4 1.6A w/ an Abit BD7II board. Even at default voltage I can't get my temps below 42C idle. I did purchase a THermalright AX-478 with a Sunon 50CFM fan. At 1.6 volts I'll run 53-54C running Prime 95. I have decent case cooling with 2 intakes and and 2 exhaust fans. My heatsink isn't even warm to the touch, and yes it seems to be fitted properly. I'm using the thermal grease which came with the heatsink, and no I haven't lapped my heatsink. I've read the directions on this forum and i was wondering between 'lapping' and some Arctic Silver if that should make a significant difference. MY idle temps run about 34/44C and load approximately 42/53C. I'm just not used to these high temps after my PIII 700w/ my alpha 3125 never exceeding 37 Load. I'm using the abit monitor for my temps, and comparing it with Sisoft sandra.....they both read approximately the same thing. This is frustrating......:)). I gotta good chip and have run into windows with no prob at 2.7ghz. My temps are holding me back from having a real good time. All suggestions will be appreciated.

P4 1.6a@2128(for now)
Abit BD711
Mushkin 256 PC 2700 2 2 2
Maxtor 20 gig ata 100 7200 RPM
Pny GF3 Ti 500(not overclocked right now)

Lapping the AX-478 will drop a few C's off and A/S will drop a few more. My AX-7 dropped 5C after a lap job, I was a little anal and used 2000 grit for my final step. But my temps are very low and under load, does'nt go over 40C.

Agreed. I just bought a new BD711 to put a 2.4 northwood in and I am lapping and using AS3. I did not with the asus board I am running and I am up around 49/53 underload. I expect to reach higher speed with the cooler temps assocated with better cooling

Back