• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help with this raid thingy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1-Man-Army

ok i have a server which runs cs and a file server on a p3 450 @ 500mhz so i dont no what raid lvl to set it to i never seted mine up so i dont no crap about it so give me sum ideas of which setting to set so i wouldnt get any slow downs for my server while hosting a game and file sharing in my network
here is the specs to it since i dont have time to update my sig
pc 133 128mb(2x32,1x64)
maxtor 13. sumthing gb ata 66
abit be6
p3 450 @ 500mhz

Last edited:
you need more than 1 HDD to run a raid. Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks. note the "s" on the end of disks.

As for what RAID you want to run. It really all depends on what you need a RAID for and how many drives you have

(r)AID 0, is FOR SPEED. not a true raid as the files are split between the disks and this method offers no REDUNDANCE.

RAID 1, 100% REDUNDANCY, as 1 disk is a mirror of the other. So you lose 1/2 your storage space. Disks in RAID 1 must be installed in Pairs, 2, 4, ect.

RAID 0 + 1. 100% REDUNDANCY and FOR SPEED. basicly it is RAID 0 with 2 hardrives, and RAID 1 with 2 more mirroring the 2 drives in RAID 0. needs 4 drives and is a waste of money IMHO. you also lose 1/2 of your storage space. thier are much better RAID levels for redundance and speed.

RAID 5. SPEED and ECC. 1 drive will be lost for ECC whle the other (2 or more) will stripe the data. This is the way to go if you need redundancy and speed. If on drve dies, the RAID will rebuild itself on the remaining drives.

this is not the only levels of RAID, just some more of the common ones

then i guess ill just stick with one hdd cause i dont got any moeny left to get a new hdd or the space to put it in my clear case, thanks for the info tho! i never new raid needs 2 drives

if you ever do get the cash, it will be the best upgrade you will ever do.

Back