• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with wiring a switch

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
u know after bob4933 sent me a revision/simplified of my 1st wiring diagram and looking how it is wired.. I see what you mean lochekey. I am going to wire it up like my 2nd pic with double post single throw switch. thanks you all for helping..

Glad to hear that, feel free to shoot me a pm if you ever have wiring questions.

As I mentioned earlier I would not recommend wiring it this way because you will be creating a 7 volt circuit through the leds when the switch is off. You are correct that it is done for safety reasons and no reason to be unsafe just because it is in a case.
It's not a series or parallel wiring. It's merely using a common ground for the circuit. Ohms law still applies.

I'm on my mobile right now so I cannot draw a diagram. Under normal use with the switch in the o on position the system will work fine. It is when the switch is turned off that the problem arises. By sharing a common ground you can create a series circuit between the 12v and 5v headers which will induce a 7v circuit on the leds.

That's what I was trying to say earlier. If I get a chance I'll sketch up what I was thinking. Maybe you can help identify the type of switch he needs. It's been 2 decades since I've had to contemplate these things. LMAO

Here's a quicky,
View attachment 171013

http://www.mouser.com/Electromechan...luminated-Rocker-Switches/_/N-cbt5j?P=1z0z2qg

That diagram is good blaylock. I believe he already has the correct switch from what he said earlier he just did not realize it. Since he will be breaking the positive side of the circuit he will be able to have a common ground without problems now.

Back