• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hc1001

im about to order the innovetek water cooling kit and decided not to buy the radiator that was included...i want to buy a heater core which will be much cheaper than $50 but im confused about the fittings on the heater core. lots of ppl have said they use a chevy 86 heator core. i think it has a 1/2 and a 3/8 fitting on that heator core. how am i gonna use this heator core with the innovetek kit? can soemone help me or recommend me another heator core that performs good and has 2 3/8 fittings? will teh 3/8 tubing fit over teh 1/2? what can i do?

Ottoman

what i did was chop the olld fittings clean off at their base,
then used threaded barbs and fitted them in the holes....

OP
H

hc1001

thx otto but i dont have tools to cut the barbs clean off....do u think i can fit the tubing over the 1/2 barb? would it be wise to do this?

OP
H

hc1001

also the pump that comes with the kit is a eheim 1046, for $10 u can buy the 1048. should i buy the 1048? i might plan to use a GPU but at this time im only using it for CPU cooling.

Ottoman

1/2 iD or 1/2 OD??

u don't have a hacksaw or dremel or blowtorch?

10 bux more? can't go wrong, better a little too much then too little...

Ottoman

the barbs are actually soldered on... not welded...

don't u have neighbors or anyone with a hack saw or dremel??

yeah an easier and free way would be to plug comp and pump into same power bar, and switch bar on and off ;)

OP
H

hc1001

ok i think i can get a hacksaw....then i have to buy 2 threaded 3/8 barbs and put them in the holes? it looks like if i cut both of teh original barbs off the heater core, one hole will be bigger than the other....is this a problem?

Ottoman

nope i had the same thing.. i used one 1/2" thread and one 3/8" thread, wrapped the thread to fill any extra gap and screwed it in place and used plumbers goop to make sure everything was secure...

OP
H

hc1001

bah! this is getting harder and harder with each step....makes me scurred to go w/cing...now im thinking i should make my own setup instead of buying a kit.

Ottoman

i bought all my pieces... and built it myself.. cheaper than a kit.. and u can get exactly what u want...

maze3..
via aqua 1300
heatercore..
electric box modded to be res...
bunch of barbs and hose...

took a while to iron out all the leaks and stuff..

just be patient, build the system outside your comp and test it... let it run and see if there's leaks, if not you're safe..

then the prob becomes fitting the damn thing :p