• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

paolo

Registered
Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could assist me in overclocking my new system. I'm not sure if i'm posting in the correct section so i won't put the system specs up as yet..

thanks in advanced.

Paolo

ScottinIndy

OP
P

paolo

Registered
Hello Paolo and :welcome:

If it is an AMD based system, Check this out

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=391768

If it is an Intel based system, Check this out

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=515316

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your prompt response and assistance i'll be sure to read the entire guide. If you guys have any recommendations, these are my system specs:

Antec p192 Case
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W PSU (modulated)
Intel q9450 Quad Core CPU - Zalman CNPS9700 LED Heatsink
ASUS P5E3 Deluxe MB
OCZ DDR3 PC3-14400 / 1800MHz / Platinum Edition (2Gb)
NVIDIA 8800GTS 512Mb GPU (ASUS)
2 x 500Gb Seagate SATA 3Gb/s HDD

Any recommendations on running this system at a stable overclocked speed will be greatly appreciated while i have a lot of reading to do ;)

Thanks in advanced..

Paolo

LilBuddy

Simply put, raise your FSB and up your voltage some. Sorry but I can't tell you off hand what voltage is safe or what FSB is gooing to work.

OP
P

paolo

Registered
Thanks alot for the advices guys...

At the moment i got everything listed in my system specs as above except for the CPU, its on backorder in Sydney, Australia :( so unfortunately i cant do much until that gets here lol.

OP
P

paolo

Registered
Guys thanks alot for your advice, i FINALLY got my CPU, there was a bit of a delay. If anybody gets a chance to read this post, what do you guys recommend as a new system OS..? Should i stick to XP or move to VISTA..? What would give me the best results..

ScottinIndy

I'm still on XP, So I can't really make a fair comparison. I just really haven't gotten the urge to go to vista yet, Will be doing a new build late summer or in the fall and I will probably go with Vista then.

OP
P

paolo

Registered
I've finally got this system built - i ran memtest for a couple of hours with no errors. I then installed Winxp temporarily just to run prime95, i have no idea why but 3 out of my 4 cores fail within a few minutes of starting, 1 core gives an error aftere 2-5 mins, then the others go out after about 1hr. Monitoring the temps using CoreTemp and it seems that each core runs at approx 40-50degrees celsius. The system has not been overclocked at all. All that was done was a bios update. Can ANYBODY give me some advice here.. ?

OP
P

paolo

Registered
So i should up it gradually until it doesn't report any errors..? anything else i should try, i'll try it when i get home 2nite from work..

grumperfish

Once you do start overclocking you'll need to up the FSB voltage slightly but for now you should really only need to bump up the RAM (only if raising timings/clocks or if your RAM is 2.0+ volts and your board defaults to 1.8V) or CPU voltage. Make sure your RAM is working well at stock with memtest as well. I've had a couple DOA modules in the past and that could definitely cause errors in Prime even at stock speeds.

OP
P

paolo

Registered
yeh i tested the RAM running memtest, strangely enough, memtest completes after prob an hour or so and says it did not find any errors... does that seem to quick for completion..? I've had other pc's with less RAM run for 12+hrs.. not sure!. I left it running this morning and will see by the time i get home it would have run for about 11hrs.

OP
P

paolo

Registered
I've hit a brick wall with this problem, i'm starting to think there is a faulty piece of hardware somewhere. I changed the CPU voltage up to 1.4v as a max, also the DRAM voltage I've set to 1.96v, this seemed to prolong the errors, but after ~ 15 mins 1 core dropped and error, then the rest followed prob within an hour or so. I left it overnight with 3 out of 4 cores reporting errors and 1 core was still green after 8hours.

Anybody have any idea how to fix this problem, everything in BIOS is set to auto except my DRAM voltage which i set to 1.96v. Specs are:

MB: ASUS P5E3 Deluxe
CPU: Intel Q9450 quad core
RAM: OCZ DDR3 PC3-14400 / 1800MHz / Platinum Edition (2Gb)
NVIDIA 8800GTS 512Mb GPU (ASUS)

OP
P

paolo

Registered
I don't think the errors come up when i run the "small FFTs" test... only when i run the "Blend" test.