• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need info on Overclocking my q8200 in custom rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magzter

Hey and thanks for helping me, I was curious on overclocking my q8200, here is a report off my computer hardware.

note: I think i have 650 psu (says total output max: 650W on the psu)

Motherboard:
CPU Type QuadCore Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200, 2333 MHz (7 x 333)
Motherboard Name Asus P5QL-EM (1 PCI, 2 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Video, Gigabit LAN)
Motherboard Chipset Intel Eaglelake G43
System Memory 3584 MB (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM)
DIMM1: Team Group Team-Value-800 2 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (6-6-6-18 @ 400 MHz) (5-5-5-15 @ 333 MHz) (4-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz)
DIMM3: Team Group Team-Value-800 2 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (6-6-6-18 @ 400 MHz) (5-5-5-15 @ 333 MHz) (4-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz)
BIOS Type AMI (12/09/08)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 (1024 MB)
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 (1024 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
Monitor Dell E196FP [19" LCD] (HC51763622MS)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Realtek ALC1200 @ Intel 82801JB ICH10 - High Definition Audio Controller

Storage:
IDE Controller Intel(R) ICH10 Family 6 Port SATA AHCI Controller - 3A22
IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
Storage Controller MagicISO SCSI Host Controller
Storage Controller Microsoft iSCSI Initiator
Storage Controller Virtual CloneDrive
Disk Drive ST31000528AS ATA Device (1000 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II)
Optical Drive ATAPI iHAS124 A ATA Device
Optical Drive ELBY CLONEDRIVE SCSI CdRom Device (Virtual CD-ROM)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

so yeh if anyone is able to help me on how to overclock and the maximum speed i could overclock it at i would be gratefull, if u need anymore info just ask.
thanks

Btw a side problem if anyone could help me please, my computer keeps instantly crashing (i think to be overheating) during long sessions of cod mw2, i have tried running the fan at 100% but still happens just not as regularly, does anyone have a solution for this?

MattNo5ss

5up3r m0d3r4t0r
:welcome:

If you haven't already, read through this thread: HOWTO: Overclock C2Q (Quads) and C2D (Duals) - A Guide v1.7

It looks like the highest OC you'll get will be 2.8GHz (7x400MHz). This is b/c of your RAM it's DDR2-800, so your FSB limited to 400MHz (I doubt your value RAM will OC to allow higher FSB).

As for overheating, what CPU cooler and case+fans do you have?

Last edited:

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner

If you haven't already, read through this thread: HOWTO: Overclock C2Q (Quads) and C2D (Duals) - A Guide v1.7

It looks like the highest OC you'll get will be 2.8GHz (7x400MHz). This is b/c of your RAM it's DDR2-800, so your FSB limited to 400MHz (I doubt your value RAM will OC to allow higher FSB).

Read that guide as Matt suggested.

I wouldnt say he would be limited to 400Mhz, as even value ram has a little headroom in it at least. But 400Mhz FSB on 1:1 with your ram shouldnt even require any voltage bumps.

As for the temps, keep them at 72C or below while stress testing and all will be well.

MattNo5ss

5up3r m0d3r4t0r
I wouldnt say he would be limited to 400Mhz, as even value ram has a little headroom in it at least.

I just don't want him to expect them to go any higher though, if it does then awesome. I have some 1GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 5-5-5-18 sticks in another system that can't even run at 401MHz. Luck of the draw I guess...

glussier

I just don't want him to expect them to go any higher though, if it does then awesome. I have some 1GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 5-5-5-18 sticks in another system that can't even run at 401MHz. Luck of the draw I guess...

It doesn't really matter, as the G43 chipset will have problem overclocking past 415 to 420mhz fsb.

He should just overclocking it to 400mhz based frequency, keeping the same ram, and be done with it. However, he should fix his heat problem first.

OP
M

magzter

My case is a Thermaltake Xaser VI

Mag, what power supply do you have?

I dont exactly know what the power supply is called but I can see it says Maximum output = 650W.

MattNo5ss

5up3r m0d3r4t0r
I dont exactly know what the power supply is called but I can see it says Maximum output = 650W.

You need to check the amps on the 12v rail(s), they are more important than watts. You can usually find this info and the PSU model on a sticker on the side of the PSU.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
The brand is what we need to know. That or a screenshot of the sticker on the side showing the power breakdown...

MattNo5ss

5up3r m0d3r4t0r
Your case seems to have plenty of fans for good airflow. What CPU cooler do you have?

When you're gaming open up RealTemp before you start and let it run in the background. In the middle of your session check the max CPU and GPU temps that RealTemp recorded.

SamSaveMax

Beside the rams, don't bother. With that "corporate stable model" CSM mobo you won't get pass 340fsb for quad.

You need a new moboboard for overclocking.

glussier

Beside the rams, don't bother. With that "corporate stable model" CSM mobo you won't get pass 340fsb for quad.

You need a new moboboard for overclocking.

The Q8400 is already running on a 333mhz base frequency. That motherboard supports 400mhz based frequency, so why wouldn't he be able to do that with his processor? 2800mhz can be done on default volt with that processor.

OP
M

magzter

You need to check the amps on the 12v rail(s), they are more important than watts. You can usually find this info and the PSU model on a sticker on the side of the PSU.

I just opened the side of my case, there are several brands on it so I will just list them.

A power
Black label
intel amd recommended
P4-A650 (i think is the psu)

AC INPUT 115/230V 50-60HZ 6A/4A
DC OUTPUT +3.3V +5V +12V1 +12V2 -12V +5Vsb
MAX. A 32A 48A 20A 19A 0.8A 3.5A

Your case seems to have plenty of fans for good airflow. What CPU cooler do you have?

When you're gaming open up RealTemp before you start and let it run in the background. In the middle of your session check the max CPU and GPU temps that RealTemp recorded.

I think my cpu fan is a intel e30307-001, I will check temps soon and leave a post.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
The PSU sounds like a no namer which is a concern, but still should be fine for your setup.

So you have teh STOCK cooler that came with the CPU on, right?

glussier

The PSU sounds like a no namer which is a concern, but still should be fine for your setup.

It's very easy to not push 1 of the lock pins properly. I should probably make sure that all the cooler's lockpins are properly set in place.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Yeah stock intel cooler stinks...Just keep it under 72C while running PRim95 Small FFT's and you will be fine!

OP
M

magzter

It's very easy to not push 1 of the lock pins properly. I should probably make sure that all the cooler's lockpins are properly set in place.

pins are in place

yes it is stock cooler

also im starting to think that the computer crashes arn't a result of overheating but Call of duty MW2 is causing it, because the crashes arn't happening in any other game

MattNo5ss

5up3r m0d3r4t0r
pins are in place

yes it is stock cooler

also im starting to think that the computer crashes arn't a result of overheating but Call of duty MW2 is causing it, because the crashes arn't happening in any other game

Even if the pins are in place the stock intel cooler can lead to some high temps. For example, I have an E5200 at stock (200MHzx12.5) and it idles around 50C.

What were your CPU and GPU temps which made you decide it's not overheating?

bing

Low Profile Senior
If you still want to use Intel stock LGA775 heatsink, suggesting you to use the old one from Pentium D era, try go to local shop and look for old type one, I believe they're pretty cheap or even throw em away, its still Intel stock though, but they're much better.

See for your self HERE the old LGA775, again, its much more better and bigger/higher than your current Q8200 stock one.

But again, personally I'd use better one than stock for OCing. ;)

RollingThunder

Destroyer of Trolls & Spammers
Even if the pins are in place the stock intel cooler can lead to some high temps. For example, I have an E5200 at stock (200MHzx12.5) and it idles around 50C.

What were your CPU and GPU temps which made you decide it's not overheating?

Matt,

Unless you in a very high ambient temperature, there is something wrong with an E5200 idling at 50 C at stock. I'm running an E7500 and an E8500 in ambient 68 F temps with stock voltage and cooling save for an extra internal fan and the E8500 idles at no more than 31 C while the E7500 is 38 C / 29 C idle overclocked (14%) as in my sig. Yes, the stock Intel coolers are a PoS but they work just fine on stock voltages with mild overclocks.

Bing: Both of mine are the newer aluminum. I'm taking your advice to find the older copper, I wasn't aware of this coming from AMD.