• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need internet in remote location.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
I have moved from the U.S.A. to an island, the infrastructure is A real issue, on the best of days the power does stay on, A good day it flickers 3 or 4 times, you know the drill, reset the clocks and such.
the internet access is just horrid, very slow, lost connections all day, streaming youtube is right out the window and the cost is just out of this world.
A few of my neighbors have satellite, it's slow, costs an arm and A leg, it's unavailable when it storms, but my wired is unavailable on some of the best of days.
Are there better options?
Other options?

(G{in}[AK)TION]

Exactly what do you mean by island?

Could try going solar to get around that power issue.

I would try looking into WISP. or Wireless Internet Service Provider AKA Fixed Wireless. They usually use Ubiquiti, Mikrotik, cambium, or some other brand for their wireless infrastructure and use 5ghz for almost all of their areas if not all.

The way it works is they put an antenna on your roof and point it to one of their towers. Then they run/setup the cable from their antenna on your roof into your house to a POE adapter and then into the router. 5ghz Antenna > POE > Your router.

WISPs are WAY better than satellites about 99.9 percent of the time but you can definitely do gaming and stream video easily.

Of course, some people mistake it for providers like T-Mobile and Verizon which is totally not the case here.

EDIT: and of course, there is always starlink as dejo said.

OP
caddi daddi

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
I have moved to the windward islands In the Atlantic, St, Lucia to be exact.
The power issues will be covered next week, when the people that serviced my gen set about A month ago replace it (at my expense) because they did not put oil in it when they serviced it and when it came on in the hurricane it blew itself up........
Starlink is out of the running, no coverage yet.

Robert17

Premium Member
I moved remotely a few years ago and posted up a thread here that is my saga. Still dead slow compared to city living but do have enough connectivity for posting as you can see. Hope it provides some ideas/hope.

Janus67

Benching Team Leader
Sorry I don't have much of a suggestion for you outside of starlink or a WISP as others have said. But congrats on the move, I look forward to hearing how everything goes (cost of living, weather, etc)