• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need more space

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JDMStanced

I currently have a 250 Gb SSD and it filled up almost to full. Window is downloaded in SSD
It seems that a lot of apps are taking up most of the space. Apps like Photoshop, indesign, Overwatch, LoL, the ones that kinda need to be in SSD not in my HDD..haha
Is there a way to free up my SSD without buying a new SSD?

System & reserved is taking up 40 gb..-_-

It 's a hard question haha

PS. Could the little room in SSD cause the computer to crash or freeze?

Thank you!

Is there a way to free up my SSD without buying a new SSD?

PS. Could the little room in SSD cause the computer to crash or freeze?

The page file and hibersys can take up alot of space. Moving the page file to your HDD and shutting off the hibersys may free up 20-60gb of space depending on your current settings.

https://www.nextofwindows.com/what-...-delete-in-windows-7-free-up-hard-drive-space

Im not sure if the link explains what hibersys is (just saw thst it had the right procedure). The hibersys file is where the system dumps the info stored in ram when you enter hibernation and by default is the same amount as your ram, so if you have 16gb ram then 16gb hibersys . Theoretically with this setting disabled you should also set hibernation to off in the power settings, but I have never encountered any difficulties.

Yes, if your SSD is too full it will cause crashes. It depends on how full, but that is definitely one of the things that happens

it's saying unable to perform operation. an expected error...
Sounds full :)

Here is another space saver that I forgot to mention earlier: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2079571/move-your-libraries-to-a-second-drive-or-partition.html I usually do this first before installing anything else so that installed programs know where to redirect save files/etc to. Im not certain if that will be an issue for you or not. Most likely not, but be aware that it could happen. After doing this you should have enough room to remove the hibersys if you still want to. If you still cant, then you will have to delete/move files to a seperate drive/usb drive to create space

Do NOT move your page file off to a HDD... much slower. Instead simply SHRI K the page file size and make it a max of 2 or 4gb. Also do a disk cleanup and include system files... see what that comes up with.

Otherwise, yeah, buy a larger ssd.

News to me a full ssd causes crashes....it slows down, that I've seen, but no crashes.

Do NOT move your page file off to a HDD... much slower. Instead simply SHRI K the page file size and make it a max of 2 or 4gb. Also do a disk cleanup and include system files... see what that comes up with.

Otherwise, yeah, buy a larger ssd.

News to me a full ssd causes crashes....it slows down, that I've seen, but no crashes.
I guess it depends on how much you use your page file. I rarely ever hot the page file and see no reason not to have it exist entirely on an HDD. It can be set on a per disk basis though, so perhaps a small 2-4gb on the SSD and a little more on the HDD for any overflow is reasonable-ish. User's choice :)

Maybe Windows handles it differently but I had a linux system that continually crashed because I messed up mount locations and filled up the boot disk. Every time I tried to move a file there it would hang for a long time and then crash. Clearing space on the drive cleared the issue. :shrug:

I wouldnt make two either... just shrink ot, make it a max size of 2/4gb and be done with it.

Not sure how Linux does it versus windows. Entirely possible of course, just something I haven't experienced. :)

complicating words...lol
Could you explain how to shrink page file and make it a size of 2/4 gb? and this doesn't have an effect on performance?
thanks!

Google: "How to change page file size in Windows 10" or whatever OS you are using. Page filing is when drive space is used like RAM because there isn't enough RAM to process the job. It slows things down because disk-based operations are slower than RAM-based operations.

You have 16gb of ram..chances are it's barely touching the pagefile... only what some applications 'need'. Set it to 4gb (as per trents instructions...). Whatever the difference is what's set and 4gb, is how much drive space you will get back.

Again, run disk cleaner and include system files... shrink max size for hibernation if you use it...or disable it...

You can be done with all of this in 5 mins. ;)

Just a quick question. I went ahead and bought a new ssd. :(
Samsung 850 evo 500gb. However the free space shows 465 gb even though its just a secondary ssd.. nothing installed. Is this ok?

Back