• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need motherboard/CPU/RAM suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JCE3000GT

Hi all, I figured I'd post in the general subforum since I am asking for advice on 3 components at once. :)

I've finally got some extra money coming in at the end of the month so I will set aside some of it for a new motherboard, CPU, and RAM. My current specs are below in my signature. My estimated budget and what I need out of my gaming rig are below.

Budget: $500 approx

I want an 8-core AMD at least 4.0Ghz, 16GB of as fast of RAM as my CPU/Mobo can handle, and a motherboard that won't fry itself to death like my current one does (VRM mostly) when overclocked.

I'm moving my existing motherboard, CPU, and RAM in to my wife's gaming machine so those are the only components I want to upgrade at this time. Currently my system runs with ultra settings on a very highly modified Skyrim (w/4k-8k textures) and ultra on an unmodified Fallout 4, so these will be my benchmarks. I'll likely need to keep these new components for at least 3 years so please keep that in mind. I want to also keep the door open for possibly getting a GTX 980 or a better GPU than my GTX 960 in a year or two so the CPU/Mobo combo needs to not bottleneck it and be good for running it. Any help and or suggestions are apprecaited.

OP
JCE3000GT

JCE3000GT

These were among the first I found but I wasn't sure about this motherboard. How does it compare with the Fatal1ty and the modern revision of my board? There is another high end board I'm forgetting too...

I know you said AMD and I love my AMD setups, but I've heard people having issues running Skyrim on AMD when it's modded. So just another suggestion.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Msd7kL

I don't have any trouble with a highly modded Skyrim with my 965 BE, it's the other future games I'd be mostly concerned about. Plus, I'm not an Intel fan, just too expensive for my taste and I have AMD brand loyalty. :D

Appreciate the responses so far. :)

Mr.Scott

Beamed Me Up!
These were among the first I found but I wasn't sure about this motherboard. How does it compare with the Fatal1ty and the modern revision of my board? There is another high end board I'm forgetting too...
There is no comparison. The only boards worth getting for an overclocked FX is either the Sabertooth or the Crosshair board.
The Crosshair board will add roughly $60 to your budget for just the board and is basically a benchers board.

Mandrake4565

Mr. Clean Senior Member
There is no comparison. The only boards worth getting for an overclocked FX is either the Sabertooth or the Crosshair board.
The Crosshair board will add roughly $60 to your budget for just the board and is basically a benchers board.
+1

OP
JCE3000GT

JCE3000GT

UPDATE!

So I went a completely different route here. I decided since AMD's architecture is pretty antiquated now for gaming I bit the bullet and bought an Intel. Goes against everything I stand for but if I wanted to continue to have this hobby of playing games I needed to get something for the future.

I bought...
MSI Z170A mobo
Intel i5 6500 quadcore Skylake CPU
8GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR4 2400 RAM

This particular processor out performed an FX-8370 and was about on par with an FX-9590 on most things with the Intel exceeding in others with much less power usage/temperatures. Plus the AM3/AM3+ architecture is not for the future and is quite old at this point. I'm disappointed in AMD right now so that's mainly why I changed over to Intel. It also helps that the cost of buying this Intel setup was the same as if I were of bought a 9590+mobo+faster RAM. If they step up their game maybe I'll go back in 2~3 years...only time will tell. In the meantime on a fresh Windows 7 install this new CPU totally destroys my old 965 BE. I don't even need the water cooler anymore either. :D