• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need new set-up help...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So 3 gpu's + 1 VM looks like the best folding set up for that rig.

So 3 gpu's + 1 VM looks like the best folding set up for that rig.

then I'm loosing 5K ppd

I know the 4 gpu's will fold so it must be a issue with vmplayer as if it is never used, you can run 2 x winsmp and 4gpu2 clinets without a issue and that uses around 86% of ram.

Note: Notfred added support for smp 8 on Feb 9, 2009.

9 February 09: Make Windows Share writeable. Support -smp 8 option. Remove unitinfo.txt from backup (can be giant). Update busybox, glibc and kernel.

Not suggesting you change what you guys have going here, just saying.

Running an 8 core VM in 1 GB of memory will cause the VM to crash.
When you consider that each gpu reserves address space in ram, the vm takes half your 2GB of ram, and that Win 7 uses a lot of ram, it isn't surprising at all that the system crashes.
Win SMP isn't running a2 WUs and uses way less ram the 1 GB alloted to the VM. 2 GB is the minimum for WIn 7 without vmware and without 4 x gpus.
Plenty of folks run multigpu + VMware, so it's not VMware per se. It's the lack of ram causing problems.

Edit:
Notfreds will get by on less ram than a full Ubuntu install, but I doubt if it is enough less to avoid system crashes. Face it, 2 GB isn't enough ram to reasonably optimize your system.

ok t-minus 7-10 min....

adak and chasr thanks again for all the help (sure I might need more once I can get a 6gb set on the way for now I guess 4 gb will have to work.)

Okay, you need to setup VMPlayer for 4.2GB, minimum to fold the extra large WU's.

Last edited:
Each core uses about 90 GB so add 360 GB to the 4 core VM requirement. I don't have one running so this is from memory. You should be able to get by with 1280 MB with a Ubuntu install. Maybe 100 MB less for notfreds.

Ok not enough ram isn't the issue. 4 gb does the same thing.

4th gpu2 want run without it restarting after a few mins.

everything getting turned back (only at 3.4 atm and 3.9 is stable linx and prime stable.)

Ok so it was the command rate. 1t doesn't work 2t does.

I started asking myself is the overclock killing it and what to you know it was the ram the command rate along with ddr3 speed was the only thing I change and it's doing 2 x vm at about 3988 ppd a piece and all 4 gpu 2's are folding.

gonna let it run for a while and probably change back to just 1 vm in hopes the 8k ppd turns into 9k ppd.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
It doesn't appear you have the priority of the gpu clients set correctly. I would expect them to run closer to 6000 ppd

Project ID: 5783
Core: GROGPU2
Credit: 783
Frames: 100

Name: CINDY 9800GTX
Path: \\Cprcc-ws03\FAH\FAH GPU\
Number of Frames Observed: 211

Min. Time / Frame : 00:01:53 - 5,987 PPD
Avg. Time / Frame : 00:01:55 - 5,883 PPD
Cur. Time / Frame : 00:01:54 - 5,934 PPD
R3F. Time / Frame : 00:01:53 - 5,987 PPD
All Time / Frame : 00:01:53 - 5,987 PPD
Eff. Time / Frame : 00:01:53 - 5,987 PPD

my 9800gx2's have always done a max of 5500ppd per core and thats on the 353 units they do about 4800ppd per core on the 1888 units.

maybe my 191.07's are the issue?

never seen 6k ppd on a single core on them but did see 5800ppd but don't remember the os or drivers used.

what you posted was for a 9800gtx...

I may have wrongly assumed the performance per core was similar. THe 191.07 drivers are fine. The newer ones don't appear to be any faster.

only issue I seem to have is one of the 4 gpu2 clients will lose about 500-800ppd on avg.

true I had a 9800gtx and they do better then a single core off of a gx2.

still having issues....

I cant seem to get this thing to fold without issues unless I only use 3 gpu2 clients...

Last edited:
still having issues....

I cant seem to get this thing to fold without issues unless I only use 3 gpu2 clients...

A while back I did have 4 GPUs folding(this thread); I don't know if you're still interested, or if there's any information there that's pertinent to your rig, but I'll say this: having 4 GPUs in one rig created one heck of a "thermal envelope", which worried me to death. Then, there was the realization that the 4 GPU machine alone was eating around $90, which diminished (in my view) the affordability of several other machines that I wanted to keep running. That I7 920 and x58-extreme would love to fold the bigadv WUs in Linux, but then there's the problem of "what-to-do" with the GPUs... :rain:

don't think its a heat issue, but it does seem driver-conflicting related.

gonna post a SS soon of what's the best I've got.

Back