• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need new sound for my PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MikeJ

Registered
Looking for new sound for my PC,
Headphones under 150$
Desktop amp with front headphone jack and
rear speaker jacks for under 100$ and a set of bookshelf speakers for under 100$
Thank you

The hard part is going to be trying to find an off the shelf amplifier that works well for both speakers and headphones, especially on that budget. A used digital receiver can be found for less than that but the headphone output on those is mostly an afterthought that might be about on par with onboard. Standalone digital amplifier units typically do not have headphone outputs. Two separate devices might be your best bet.

There are a number of good headphones for less than $150 (check a high end audio site like Head Fi for advice) and used speakers in good condition can be found for way less than $100 (check places like Goodwill or Salvation Army). You might be able to find an old digital receiver with S/PDIF but not HDMI for cheap, then get a good headphone DAC/amp unit within the remaining budget.

It would also be good to tell roughly what quality expectations you're going for with both headphones and speakers. Keep in mind that for a given budget, you can get a much nicer headphone setup.

Looking for new sound for my PC,
Headphones under 150$
Desktop amp with front headphone jack and
rear speaker jacks for under 100$ and a set of bookshelf speakers for under 100$
Thank you

Headphones - HD280 Pro (can be found for $100)
You'll be looking used for the remaining items at those prices, as already suggested.

Really need more info.

Headphones - Open/Closed? What're you using them for?

Amp - What inputs? Do you want the option to go surround or add a sub later?

Headphones in your budget? The BeyerDynamic Dt770s aren't bad, but like NiHaoMike said you'll want a dedicated amp/DAC, especially with the 250 Ohm model. I almost want to say go with the Phillips SHP9500s and get a basic USB DAC/amp combo, then upgrade later if needed.

Speakers? I like the Klipschs in my sig and if you keep an eye out they retail for $100 new, but they still need a small basic sub to shine (as will most of your typical small 5.25"/6" bookshelf speakers).

Amps? I agree with a budget of $100 you'll want to browse for something used. I've had not-so-great luck with the true bottom of the barrel amps, and my current receiver, the R-S202BL, was one of the cheapest ones I was comfortable with based on reviews and all that. But they retail for $150.

I use a S.M.S.L M3 for my AKG K121 headphones and run the RCA out into an S.M.S.L SA50 amp powering some Polk TSI100 speakers + Wharfedale SW150 sub. Small and sounds amazing all round

Back