• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need new system....maybe.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Binow

I'm still debating on getting a new system or just upgrading a few components on the one I already have.
I currently have:
--P4 2.53Ghz CPU
--Motherboard
--Video Card
--1 gig of memory. Cheap brand. One is 2100 and other is 2700.
--And the main junk....the harddrives. Hard Disk : MAXTOR 4K040H2 and ST310232A. The one with the OS has 512k cache. The one for storage has 2mb. They both spin at 5400. The OS hd is a ATA66.

A buddy said he'd give me $400 for the computer.
I don't know if I should just sell it to him and put another ~$600 with the $400 to have a $1000 or so for components or what. I don't know if I could just get a up to date HD and that'd solve my problems. I do a decent amount of gaming and with the release of horizons will now be doing a lot more than usual ;). I also use a few engineering tools that like fast computers of course to run tons of computations. So if I put in a current HD would I see a great deal of difference in the overall "slowness" of the computer?

I'd probably look into gettin some ATA100 drives 7200 rpm, and also upgrading the ram. Like matched sticks of pc3200. Your ram is only runnin at 2100 speeds due to the fact that its the slowest ram.

With these upgrades, I think you should see some improvements

Peace,

BalliN

Ok so figure $80 for an 80gig HD. For a gig of 3200 your looking at another $160. If I were to just upgrade those two parts of the computer that's ~$250. The video card is so-so nothing great but does ok.

If I sold the computer for $400 and take another $600 I'd have a completely new system with everything being up to date. It would perfrom MUCH better I'd imagine. So out of pocket cost for the new system apposed to just upgrading is really only $350-450. Wouldn't I be a lot better off by getting a completely new system over upgrading the already dated one I have. It seems as the MB I currently have is crap too. The cpu is ok, but not 800fsb or HT.

This is the main problem im having, because I dont really know how much of a difference the new HD and memory will make. Maybe it will be a lot better, maybe not. But then i'd still be stuck with the other lagging components after the HD and memory was upgraded.

Here are the things I'd be looking at if I were to just sell mine and get new. Wouldn't I see a HUGE difference in performance?
-- DFI 875P Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 Procressors Model "LANPARTY PRO875B" Retail
-- ATI RADEON 9800 PRO 128MB DVI/TV 8X AGP RETAIL
-- SPARKLE 400 WATTS ATX UL APPROVED POWER SUPPLY MODEL # FSP400-60GN(12V) - OEM
-- Intel Pentium 4/ 2.6C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512K Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - OEM
-- Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200C2PT - OEM
-- WESTERN DIGITAL SPECIAL EDITION 120GB 7200RPM IDE HARD DRIVE, Model WD1200JB, OEM DRIVE ONLY

Total=$1,013.00

Binow said:

Here are the things I'd be looking at if I were to just sell mine and get new. Wouldn't I see a HUGE difference in performance?
-- DFI 875P Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 Procressors Model "LANPARTY PRO875B" Retail
-- SPARKLE 400 WATTS ATX UL APPROVED POWER SUPPLY MODEL # FSP400-60GN(12V) - OEM
-- Intel Pentium 4/ 2.6C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512K Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - OEM
-- WESTERN DIGITAL SPECIAL EDITION 120GB 7200RPM IDE HARD DRIVE, Model WD1200JB, OEM DRIVE ONLY

Total=$1,013.00

I think you should go for a new system. The list you have there isn't bad at all, Audigy 2? DvD writer?

V

No need for DvD writer really. I have had a cd writer for years and years and have burned maybe 10 cd's.

I know absolutely nothing about sound cards. I have never purchased one. I usually just use the on board sound. What advantage would there be to spend the $$ on an Audigy 2 card?

Wait for what?

The CPU isn’t a huge difference but I'd probably run the 2.6@~3.2
The video car obviously would be a major upgrade.
The harddrive would be another major upgrade.
Aren't the MB's with the Intel 875P chipset supposed to be much better not to mention the enormous amount of other features the DFI board has over mine? The one I have now is a North Bridge: Intel 845PE chipset.
The memory upgrade seems pretty substantial too.
Going from what I have to what I listed would only be %50 faster?

Here are the two options:
1) Keep mine and spend $250 on HD and Memory
2) Upgrade to new system with parts listed.

Option 1) = $250 out of pocket
Option 2) = $650 out of pocket

So for a difference of $400 it seems crazy not to upgrade doesn’t it? Again I am just going off what it seems, it seems as though the upgrades are a pretty big leap in the better direction to me. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Yes, it always makes more sense to start over if you have the cash to do it. I would spend the money a bit differently, but there are many ways to skin a cat.

I like DFI and it may be pretty, but it would limit overclock compared to something wicked like the AI7 Abit or the Epox 875 board.

Great deal there at $292.

The 12V output on the 400W Sparkle is a little limiting for a big P4. I recommend the Fortron 530 or the Antec True Powers for this application. You might consider the Antec Sonata case, as it comes with the True Power 380. This supply is as least as powerful as the Fortron 400, and is adequate although I would recommend the True Power 430 or larger in a perfect world.

I'd get the retail cpu for the warranty.

Corsair 3200 uses CH5 chips, you would be better served to get 2x256mb Kingston HyperX 3000's, which use BH5's. If you want 1GB of memory total get 2x512MB HyperX 3200 (non-A).

Other BH5 bearing sticks include the OCZ 3500 Platinum LE, Mushkin PC3200/3500 level 2, and Corsair XMS3500, but all are pricey.

Fine drive, but you might consider a SATA unit since the 865/875 boards have the nice SATA controller integrated into the southbridge (ICH5). The Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 is a touch faster, and cheap. The WD drives are great too.

Well if you have the cash to spend go for it. When I say wait I meant wait for the new stuff to come out and see how well they perform. Also once the new stuff is out you'll most likely see a price cut on other parts.

Tawcan said:
Well if you have the cash to spend go for it. When I say wait I meant wait for the new stuff to come out and see how well they perform. Also once the new stuff is out you'll most likely see a price cut on other parts.
Understandable. Is there anything that I should maybe wait for in the near future? What kind of time frame are you talking about? Is there something in particular that is due out real soon that will be worth it?

larva said:
> > > > > > > > > > > > > >
The 12V output on the 400W Sparkle is a little limiting for a big P4. I recommend the Fortron 530 or the Antec True Powers for this application. You might consider the Antec Sonata case, as it comes with the True Power 380. This supply is as least as powerful as the Fortron 400, and is adequate although I would recommend the True Power 430 or larger in a perfect world.

[ < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < <

I can personally vouch for the Fortron 400w. :cool:
In my heavily loaded & OverClocked nForce2 rig
it rarely drops more than 0.03v. (DMM)

Good luck with your new system Binow. :thup:

Ok some changes. How does this look?
  • ATI RADEON 9800PRO, 128MB DDR-RETAIL = $298.00
  • Antec 430W Power Supply TRUE430 = $71.00
  • Western Digital 120GB 7200RPM SATA HARD DRIVE, Model WD1200JD, OEM DRIVE ONLY = $107.00
  • Lite On Black 52x32x52 CD-RW Drive, Model LTR-52327S, OEM = $38.00
  • Thermalright CPU Cooler for Intel Socket 478(Heat Sink Only), Model:SP-94, 99 x 59 x 45mm. = $46.99
  • Arctic Silver's NEW Premium High-Density Thermal Compound: Ceramique . 2.7-gram( ~0.8 cc. ) tube. = $3.99
  • TOTAL = $564.98

So, say I leave $725 for the other components minus the keyboard, mouse, and monitor. I'd like to get the Intel P4 2.4C (SL6Z3) for $220. So that leaves $550 for the MB,Memory,Case,Fans. Do I really need 1 gig of memory? Does this computer sound like complete overkill? I could spend probably ~$900 and get easily 16000 3dMarks2001 score and call it a day. Would you spend the money differently or not as much? Thanks for the input.

Back