• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need New Wireless Router

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jrank001

Hi Folks:

I’ve read some previous post on this question others have asked but I wanted a bit more information if possible.

I have Spectrum internet and cut the cable cord and now just streaming You Tube TV. My internet drops all the time now.

I have the latest modem from Spectrum, an Ooma telephone unit, and a D-Link DIR-655 router, and a switch.

I’ve been out of touch regarding the latest tech for these items and always rely on the forum folks to help me out.

I’m sure this router is ancient and needs updating. Can you give me some recommendations on an upgrade?

I’d like to keep it around $150 but I also would like to extend my range to include my back yard.

I have a walk out ranch that has the router in the basement in the mechanical room about in the center of the house. I have an outlet close to the ceiling in my garage that would work great for an extender?

Thank you for any advice you can give me.

IMG_1765.JPG

trents

You don't want your router in the basement. Very bad location. You want routers higher up. Run cable if you have to but move the router into the center of the main living floor. That is, unless the computers connecting to it are also in the basement. First do this before you start investing in range extenders and you may do better with a repeater than with a range extender.

This may be have been a better choice in your situation: https://www.amazon.com/Google-WiFi-...router+system&qid=1550722539&s=gateway&sr=8-3

OP
jrank001

jrank001

You don't want your router in the basement. Very bad location. You want routers higher up. Run cable if you have to but move the router into the center of the main living floor. That is, unless the computers connecting to it are also in the basement. First do this before you start investing in range extenders and you may do better with a repeater than with a range extender.

This may be have been a better choice in your situation: https://www.amazon.com/Google-WiFi-...router+system&qid=1550722539&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Very nice. However I did have financial constraints. I will see what I need to do to move the router.

trents

I have Comcast/Xfinity for my Wifi service provider. I actually purchased my own modem which is in the room where the Comcast feed comes in from the street. The modem was under $70 and is the same model that Comcast used for some years. But it's just a modem, not a combo modem/router. I then purchased a good dual band TP-Link C2300 router which I placed on a shelf near the center of the floor layout I ran an ethernet cable from the modem through the floor, ran it under the house and then up through the floor where the router is. It necessitated boring a couple of holes through the floor but I've got nice covers for that make it cosmetically okay and the holes are next to partitions anyway. In your situation it may mean extending coax from the street entry point to a more central location.

OP
jrank001

jrank001

I have Comcast/Xfinity for my Wifi service provider. I actually purchased my own modem which is in the room where the Comcast feed comes in from the street. The modem was under $70 and is the same model that Comcast used for some years. But it's just a modem, not a combo modem/router. I then purchased a good dual band TP-Link C2300 router which I placed on a shelf near the center of the floor layout I ran an ethernet cable from the modem through the floor, ran it under the house and then up through the floor where the router is. It necessitated boring a couple of holes through the floor but I've got nice covers for that make it cosmetically okay and the holes are next to partitions anyway. In your situation it may mean extending coax from the street entry point to a more central location.

Thanks for the tip trents

habbajabba

My RT-N66U still works fine but I grabbed an RT-AC86U anyways 'cause merlin was no longer updated with the n900. Seeing some reviews of bad rom's for the device (after buying) so hopefully I won't have any once I flash the latest merlin zip file. And at least if for some reason I do, I can still plug the n900 back in if necessary. Also the modem I need I believe is the Asus CM-16 ~$60 ebay. The motorola surfboard one I have will not connect to spectrum. I'll grab it next month and see what happens.

TransformedBG

Honestly first thing skip combo equipment. I have spectrum. Im guessing you have the 200MB package? or would aleast hope thats what you have. Buy yourself a motorola surfboard modem (ditch the $5 a month rental fee you pay for their crap). You could use your router if you wanted to, but i would say get you a simple Ubiqiti Edge Router X and an Ubiquiti AP Pro (LR) Long Range (Go ahead and use the POE injector they provide). And Your Wifi Problems will pretty much go away. I have had ubiqiti products for over 5 years now, and when i can look on my dash board and see "Online for 252 days" *(last power outage)* you know your doing pretty good.

I have some of the older AP on the 2.4ghz network and 1 AP pro lite on the 5Ghz. never have a problem. But i also had 120 wireless phones on them all farming adds for money.

PS.. clean up that wiring bro lol

Railgun

If you’re going to go Ubiquiti, unless there’s a specific reason to go with an Edge product, stay with the Unifi line as it will make you’re life easier.

Either get a cloud key to manage it or run it on a Pi or VM.

Also, it doesn’t matter how good the signal is from the AP. If the signal from the device back TO the AP is crap, then it’s a moot point.

Based on what I see, it looks as though you have some cabling throughout the place. Add multiple APs as required.

habbajabba

Almost went ubiquiti but they really have but, I kid you not, ONE choice for the home user. It seems all else is bus/ent use. Glad I grabbed the RT-AC86U ($162). The trend micro bs is disabled by default. The moment I connected I flashed merlin and didn't even reset it. Apparently you can simply add another mesh capable router for extending.
On a side note, ubiquiti does have their own cert. With let's encrypt though anyone can do this more securely I might add.
The ability to push a button right on the side of the 86U and switch the wireless off is REALLY a nice addition I must say. All wireless devices should come this way.

Last edited: