• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need on-off switch, like the one on my case.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

weetoots

My wife needs the on - off switch closer to her hand. I don't know the name for the needed switch, I know it has 2 wires that connect to the motherboard.

Regards

MattNo5ss

5up3r m0d3r4t0r
I believe the technical term is momentary switch since the switch/button springs back and is only in the "on" position momentarily. The other kind is a toggle switch, where it stays in one position or another.

jaymz9350

I believe the technical term is momentary switch since the switch/button springs back and is only in the "on" position momentarily. The other kind is a toggle switch, where it stays in one position or another.

Yep it's a momentary switch

Robert17

Premium Member
I pulled one from an old PC case and use it when setting up a system outside the case, just slip the contacts over the pins on the MB, push button, power on. Makes me think that you could tap into the leads (2 wires) and run an extension outside the case to a more accessible and comfortable position for her.

Alaric

Momentary switches are also available at auto parts stores and motorcycle shops, ugly but usually cheap. Also Home Depot and Lowe's (doorbell buttons). The doorbell buttons come with a plate if you want to mount it permanently somewhere and have it look nicer than duct taped to the desk. LOL

WhitehawkEQ

Premium Member
You could go in to the BIOS to the Power Management page and set the keyboard or mouse button to turn on the PC.
This is some of the options in my BIOS on 1 of my MB's, yours may vary a bit.
KBM.jpg

OP
weetoots

weetoots

I don't use any PS2 hardware, anymore.
Too '90ish. I need a bd that uses USB.

Any ideas on a AMD MB? Tnx

OP
weetoots

weetoots

I want to move the computer on/off switch.

The computer on/off switch is on the opposite side from where my wife sits. She can't move around enough to reach it, so she uses her other arm....ME.;)

I know which wires to move or extend, but my problem is the correct name for the switch. I want a large push button switch, but most just click on or off, whereas the switch now mounted has a spring to push it back out or hold the switch down and it will shut off.

A friend said get a momentary switch. What is that?

Aloha

MattNo5ss

5up3r m0d3r4t0r
New thread merged with this one. Try to keep discussion on the same topic in the same thread. Thanks.

Dlaw

You could try making one with an old doorbell or some other kind of button, all you would need is a spring, some wire, a little aluminum foil and a soldering iron. Run the wire across the diameter of the button, soldering each end to a small piece of foil, and fastening the foil with more solder or superglue or whatever. Then, position some more small pieces of foil where you would like the button to make contact on whatever casing you're using, running leads from the contact points. Run the leads into the case and connect them to the power switch header pins (or optionally, splicing them into the existing power switch wires, so either switch can be used).

knoober

You could try making one with an old doorbell or some other kind of button, all you would need is a spring, some wire, a little aluminum foil and a soldering iron. Run the wire across the diameter of the button, soldering each end to a small piece of foil, and fastening the foil with more solder or superglue or whatever. Then, position some more small pieces of foil where you would like the button to make contact on whatever casing you're using, running leads from the contact points. Run the leads into the case and connect them to the power switch header pins (or optionally, splicing them into the existing power switch wires, so either switch can be used).

This is WAY COOL. While Im sure I could fumble my way through it, is there any hope of a diagram?

Dlaw

I mean, it's simple enough that I'm sure I could rig up a diagram, but I'm terrible at that kind of thing. It would probably take most of the day if I did. I've seen people build switches like that for various things, though, so I know it works.

ATMINSIDE

Sim Racing Aficionado Co-Owner
This is WAY COOL. While Im sure I could fumble my way through it, is there any hope of a diagram?

You're, effectively, bridging two points with a wire... you shouldn't need a diagram.