• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need recommendation on cooling 5700G. NO AIO. Nothing TALL

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

notarat

While I decide how to move forward from my 3950X and 5950X systems dying within a day or so of each other I'm getting by with my 5700G

While it's nice, it runs a little hotter than I'd like. With the stock heatsink in a 66°F room I see temps in the lower 60°C range while in a moderate work load. I'd like to lower that a bit so I am interested in replacing the stock cooler with something else.

I'm NOT looking to replace it with an AIO nor with a "tall" heat sink like a TRUE 120 type Air Cooler. This system will eventually be placed in my 3D printed case so I don't want something tall nor do I want to change the entire design to add a Radiator because there isn't one in the size/shape I need.

This being the case, I find myself quite a bit out of touch with what's available and what would suffice.

Does anyone have any experience with the stock-orientation (simple down-blowing like OEM) kind of cooler, and what would you recommend?

How tall is "tall"?

The Noctua NH-L9As are supposed to be ok for a truly low profile cooler.

Edit - sorry, just reread the last part of your post. I'm using the stock cooler on the 2600 in my HTPC, no problems so far. Kind of a low hum when I get close to it, so not really loud.

Last edited:
Stock AMD Wraith Prism is a very good down draft cooler. ;)
I've decided to go that route so I used all but $1.91 of the remaining balance on my NFCU gift card to order one from Amazon. It should be here Sunday (or at some point in the fall...depending on Amazon...who really knows with them...)

Another option that I'm quite fond of is the one on my wife's desktop, the Noctua NH-C14S.

Another option that I'm quite fond of is the one on my wife's desktop, the Noctua NH-C14S.
I considered that one but it's a little too tall for the build I'm working on. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

They have a couple shorter coolers too, but the C14S keeps up with the big boys

I know you already made up your mind but just want to throw the Cryorig C1 & C7 into the mix for quality low profile air coolers.

I know you already made up your mind but just want to throw the Cryorig C1 & C7 into the mix for quality low profile air coolers.
Thanks for the suggestion, anyway. Those are nice coolers.

I thought that Cryorig is already dead. They canceled all marketing agreements in the EU about 2 years ago and disappeared but some stores still have their coolers. Anyway, if you can use something a bit taller than these stock cooler size models, then NH-U9S is a pretty nice cooler and not so tall. 5700G with discrete graphics, under full load, is below 90W and somehow I doubt you will play on integrated graphics. Even the smallest Noctua NH-L9a is designed for about 100W.

Back