• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Recommendation on Fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

axskkyline

Registered
Hi,

I need some recommendation on fans. I just don't want the fan to be too loud.... but if it's got good air flow is good. I need 4 for my case and 1 for my CPU.... need reccomendation, thanx..

if you guyz can tell me about good air flow fan and quite/good airflow fans, it will be a great help.

Jeff

Natel

Is CoolerMaster any good?
I heard that there is one call IHC-H71 - Everest for P4.

glock19owner

Thermaltake 2 smartfans...have a RPM dial adjuster so you can control the airflow and noise level...goes from 20.5cfm up to 75.7 CFM (48db)

They work great for both case and CPU fans...for the CPU, you might like the Tt2 Coolmod fan...stays blue when HD is at idle...turns red when you have HD activity...

macklin01

Computational Oncologist / Biomathematician / Mode
@axskkyline:
Welcome to the forums! My personal recommendation would be a Panalflo Hi (39.6 CFM, 32 dBA, but seems quieter than that) for your CPU fan and Panaflo LO's for your case fans (24 CFM, 21 dBA). All are 80mm and have very quiet fluid dynamic bearings, so they'll seem quieter than other fans with the same dBA rating, generally speaking.

The Thermaltake thermal-controlled fans are also promising. Another good fan that I've used is an 80mm Thermaltake case fan. (30 dBA, 37 CFM, 80mm).

@Natel:
Welcome to the forums! I'm not sure about that particular cooler (but have you checked the heatsink ratings link on the main site?) but I can attest to CoolerMaster fans being rather loud. (I have used several 80mm case fans of the 31-32 dBA variety, and they seem louder than they're rated.)

-- Paul

OP
A

axskkyline

Registered
@macklin01 ~~~ thanx for welcoming ... =)

thanx alot for your recommendation i am buying thermatkate sk-7 and a sk-7 one with 80/25 fan, and toher 60/??. I was thinking of the "Thermaltake Blue-Eye High Performance LED Case Fan (HDD Indicator)" for my CPU~~ 27.8 CFM, is that the one you are talkign about? Or some ohter thign.. how's 80x25mm YS-Tech 48.5CFM / 36.9dBA 4-pin Case Fan (dual ball) ??? Hmmm.. u guy happen where are the best deal for the panolto flow... I can seem to find them.. i ususally get it at SVC.com.

macklin01

Actually, I meant more of a plain-Jane Tt fan. Here's its link:

http://www.thermaltake.com/products/dcfan/8025.htm

That particular fan can be fairly difficult to find. I believe I found it on ebay. (Generally, I don't shop there, but for the hard-to-find items, they can be good.)

*edit* Here's one, for example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3416708319&category=3673

They have a typo on the dBA. It's not 37 dBA.

*/edit*

As for Panaflo's, SVC is good. I've found a good seller on Ebay (whom I deal with outside of ebay now). But I don't feel comfortable recommending in that manner, so I'll leave you to search ebay and find him at your own risk if you desire that route.

That YS-tech fan sounds a bit on the loud side to me.

Well, I'd better run. Later! -- Paul

Jah Warrior

Disabled
Had one of these Tt smart fan 2's and it was not that great to be honest, noisy, badly built and worst of all it was hideous to look at. The flashing light thing on ot really did suck and the speed control lead practically fell off in days, it was also a pain in the neck to attach all the wires.

Personally i found that the Akasa smart fans are better built, give a fair ammount of air pressure and the leads that you control the speed with are a LOT more robust, they also look pretty cool.

I've had both the Tt and the Akasa and the Akasa is a better product by a long way.

Dont get me wrong i aint dissing the Tt, it may be exactly what you want but the quality is a bit sucky, on the bright side it pushes an incredible amount of air (at incredibly high db).

OP
A

axskkyline

Registered
alrite.. i think i'm gonna get 2x the panaflo H1a and 4x panaflow L1A. Thanx a lot for all yoru helps... Hmm actually i am gonna get one with lights.... cuz i got a clear side window.. .

Sinkhole

Registered
Just a word. Before you run out and spend your money on the Panaflo FBA08A 12L1A (rated at 24CFM @ 21dBA), not that they are by any means a bad fan. I would take a seriuos look at the Vantec Stealth (rated at 27CFM @ 21dBA), its a high quality fan and moves more air at the same decible. Mind you it not huge increase in CFM but every bit counts, doesn't it. If you want ultra quiet the Papst 8412N/2GML is rated at 26.5 CFM @ 19 dBA.
The Panaflo FBA08A 12H1A is an excellent choice with out breaking into that higher dBA bracket.
Hope this helps

Sink

Last edited:

macklin01

I have both the Vantec and the Panalflo, and I can personally vouch that the Panaflo seems to be the quieter of the two. Less bearing noise.

-- Paul

wannaoc

About the CoolMod Glock19 spoke about. I currently use the CoolMod on my CPU and the one thing to keep in mind about it is the amount wiring it adds to your case. No pictures on the Tt website show the wires in a true form. It is a good fan as I plan to use it on my SLK without the CoolMod but the Mod does add a bunch of wires to your case from the LED's it has.

OP
A

axskkyline

Registered
So is 4 x Panaflo H1A fan for case too loud?? or 4x Panaflo L1A is sufficent? Sorry for asking, cuz i am really new to these >_<. Also is Panalfo H1A fan for my CPU (Thermalright SK-7) enuff.... i getting either barton 2800 or 2500 and then overclockign them... Or shoudl i go for something more powerful??

macklin01

Hi, not a problem. :)

4 Panaflo Hi's are roughly 38 dBA. 4 Lo's are about 27 dBA. The 4 Hi's are probably overkill for case fans. I would personally go with 4 Lo's if you're set on having 4 case fans. (I generally use 2 or 3.) Or, you might try 2 Hi's and 2 Lo's. (35.34 dBA).

If you do use the Hi's as case fans, you should consider putting them on a fanbus or powering them off of the motherboard and using a program such as speedfan (google it) to modulate their speeds.

BTW, I get the dBA sums from here. One of these days, I'll get around to rewriting that program ....

Actually, I'm going to be using a very similar setup on a new small-form computer here. I'll be cooling an SK-7 with a Panaflo Hi (with speed controlled in software by speedfan). I'll be using several Panaflo LO's for case fans. (Some in the "outer shell" of the case, and some in the "inner shell". But that's an article / post to come ... ;) )

Now, as for whether or not they're powerful enough for your CPU's is another question. The SK7 is a fairly efficient heatsink, so even with a Panaflo Hi, I'd expect roughly .35 C/W or better. If your ambient temps are low enough, I'd expect that you'd get pretty decent temps, but you won't go a long, long ways as far as an ueber-overclock with that setup.

I hope that helps! -- Paul

Hookem

Go with the 28dB-A Panflo's for you case fans...especially if you are going to run 4...I have 5 of the 32dB-A panflo's in both of my box's...The 28dB-A models are more than enough for your case fans...If you plan on overclocking I would opt for the Thermaltake SLK-800 or 900...The SLK-900 if it will work on the motherboard you choose...If you go with the 800 try to buy the SLK-800U that has the four mounting standoff's instead of the clip...The SLK-900 is really the way to fly because you can use 92m/m fans...It is the king of air cooling right now and matched with a 92m/m fan is really hard to beat...:)

macklin01

The SLK-900 is undoubtably good, but it's only .03 C/W better than the SK-7 when using the same fan. For a 100W processor load, this translates to a 3C maximum difference in performance. For a more typical 50-75W thermal load, it will be a 1.5C - 2.25C difference at full load. Just something to consider, especially since an SK7 costs $20.00 and an SLK900 costs $45. Are 1.5-2.25C worth an extra $25? I'd personally say "no". Is the decreased acoustic output from using a 92mm fan worth it? Maybe so. Can a 92mm fan be used with an SK7 or SLK800? Quite possibly. ;)

Just some more stuff to ponder. ;) -- Paul

Hookem

Things that make you go...Hummm...To me the same fan comparision is valid...And yes NerdLogic has a thread showing exactly how to get a 92m/m fan on the SLK-800...Then we get to that confounded clip (uggg!!!)...Apples to Apples yes...Apples to Oranges...Nahhh...:)