• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Ryzen 5 3600 Overclocking help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KingToxic

Hi, I'm pretty new to overclocking and I'm looking to overclock my CPU. my current build is

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Pro XT
Motherboard: MSI B450i Gaming Plus AC
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 CL16-16-16-36 with a Samsung B-die
GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 Super
PSU: EVGA G3 750w Gold
Storage: Samsung 970 Pro 512GB M.2

I do a bit of streaming and a little bit of video editing but not much. I use my computer to mainly just play video games. I have got the CPU to 4200MHz @ 1.3v and got it to run Cinebench R20 for 30 minutes stable with a max temperature of 55° C. When I try and run prime95 about half the workers go "not running" and core 3 is at 10-15% utilization. I haven't done much with ram overclocking, all I have done is turn XMP on but I would like to overclock that too.

I'm looking for settings to turn on in my BIOS and just general advice for overclocking and if it's even worth it for me to go higher than 4200MHz.

To pass P95 you're going to need more voltage for that 4.2 GHz OC. Try 1.35V and add iff needed

Unless you're doing heavily multi-threaded applications I doubt that a manual OC is going to benefit you much. You may see some minimal benefit from adjusting memory timings, but it is a time consuming process of trial and error.

IMO the R5 3600 is worth overclocking, 3.6 base and about 3.9 all core boost. If you can stabilize 4.2 GHz with decent voltage then go for it. It just takes a bit of time and patience

I got a 3600XT for the price of a regular 3600. 3900 is really where they top out @ stock? Booo. With my stock cooler my XT climbs past 4600.. Bummer. I was playing with Linpack Xtreme, and then the memory stress test in aida64 and came back to this:

Mind you no load on the CPU so..

Capture.PNG

I can run my 3600 @ 4.4 GHz 24/7 without giving it much voltage. I normally just run it at 4 - 4.1 GHz though as of lately. 4.6 GHz is about the max I've done for benching. P95 @ 4.6 will get me into the 80s C so I don't do it often. But... custom loop and 3700X are on their way!!

Excellent! I am sorta kicking myself for not getting the 3700x.. but whatever. I will get the new breed when they are readily available and give this CPU and a cheap board to my boys. I bought another 16GB of G.Skill 3200 C14 to go with it, should be here tomorrow hopefully :thup: I may try to run 32GB for fun.. I really don't need it though.. just for their rig when its done. I still wouldn't mind an Intel setup.. but I have to give it to AMD this thing is pretty crazy compared to what I'm used to. Aura sync or whatever its called kind of pisses me off.. my only real complaint.

Only reason I'm going 3700X is because my brother is building a gaming pc and he needed a 3600. They're overpriced now, so I'm getting myself some more cores and selling him my 3600 essentially. If it wasn't for that, I'd keep the 3600. Been extremely happy with it.

I'd like 32 GB... but If anything I'll probably get a faster 16 gig kit... or wait a year and get a CL16 or lower 32 GB kit. My RAM now is CL18, I feel like it wouldn't be the best idea to get a second kit of the same stuff... but who knows.

I hear you man, I got my XT for the same price as the 3600 which was 309cad, really good deal. I am really impressed with AMD. I still want a fast Intel though.

Back