• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some advice on OC AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The Pug

Registered
As said in the title I would like some advice on overclocking my CPU.
I have never overclocked any components before, so I need some basic info really :p

I recently installed watercooling on the CPU and GPU, so now I finally have the cooling I need to feel comfortable overclocking stuff xP
With a casetemp of 22 degree my CPU and GPU idles at 26.
When running the full test in 3dMark the max temp is CPU 44 and GPU 47.

I basically would like to know how much I can overclock and what would be the easiest way? How much before the temps should worry me?

Btw, any good guides on OC the GPU aswell? :p

My specs are:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition

Graphic card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560Ti

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3

PSU: Chieftec Smart Series 550W

Case: CM Storm Trooper

Cooling: TB 120 + EK 240 rad, Jingway DP-400 pump, EK-Supreme LTX CSQ CPU block, Swiftech MCW82 GPU block

Just tell me if you guys need any more info :)

These are the types of information that most users supply in order to be able to help them very much.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

You can upload more than 3 images by repeatedly use BROWSE for file to upload. Images will appear in the post in the order they are uploaded unless you physically arrange the images differently.

Ok, running Prime 95 now.
One weird thing though, under memory and SPD in CPU-Z there is nothing. There is no info at all. I can get similar information from Everest, is that good enough?

memory 4 gb.png

memory 8 gb.png

These are the results after 20 min of Prime 95 and the only CPU-Z tab that wanted to show any info.

CPU tab.jpg

HWMonitor.png

Have you got the latest cpuz? It should install 64 bit version for 64 bit O/S unless you did not get the installer version.

We use CPUz for a viewing a number of settings and without it...makes to tough to really suggest much. From what I can see; it seems fairly okay.
RGone...

Those max core temps look awfully warm to me for having a big custom water cooling kit like yours and running stock frequencies and voltages. Are you sure the water block is making good contact with the CPU and that the radiator fans are blowing in the right direction?

Last edited:
Those max core temps look awfully warm to me for having a big custom water cooling kit like yours and running stock frequencies and voltages. Are you sure the water block is making good contact with the CPU and that the radiator fans are blowing in the right direction?

Yup ! they are sure on the warm side for only 1.34v. Like RGone suggested try a different version of CPUz as the one your using isn't reading correctly, it may just need reinstalling, but its a must if you want to overclock at all.

Ok, so I downloaded the CPU-Z zip and that worked fine.

I'm quite sure that the blocks should be fitted properly, the radiator fans are double checked.
I installed another fan to blow some more air into the case, can try to run the test again and see if it makes any difference.

Here are the CPU-Z pages atleast:

Memory tab.png

memory 4 gb.png

memory 8 gb.png

I have to agree on the temps as well, although they're still well in the safe zonw they are rather high for having a rad setup. Since this is new and you say the block is good and fans are good. Check your flow direction. I checked out your CPU block, did you get a backplate with it?? Do you have the inlet and outlet mixed up, it really matters. Also are you going through the CPU first and then the GPU?

I did a little ghetto solution on the CPU block, does it matter if it's not completely straight? Can it be a little on the side? :p

My flow direction goes res - pump - GPU - 120 rad - CPU - 240 rad - res
I understood it doesn't really matter?

I couldn't see in the instructions or on the block that there was a certain in- and outlet on the blocks?

When you say ghetto and the block isn't straight that doesn't sound good, the backplate is important to get good pressure on the CPU. There's definately an in and out on the CPU block. From the pic I saw there'll be a port that looks as if it's completely open underneath, I thought I could see right to the copper. This would be the exit. The other port I could see acrylic and it should direct the flow to the center and through the jetplate so that it hits directly in the center of the block.
I would also go through through the cpu then gpu then both your rads but that's me and I'm not an expert

When you say ghetto and the block isn't straight that doesn't sound good, the backplate is important to get good pressure on the CPU. There's definately an in and out on the CPU block. From the pic I saw there'll be a port that looks as if it's completely open underneath, I thought I could see right to the copper. This would be the exit. The other port I could see acrylic and it should direct the flow to the center and through the jetplate so that it hits directly in the center of the block.
I would also go through through the cpu then gpu then both your rads but that's me and I'm not an expert
I agree with Johan something doesn't seem right, those temps should be better.

Doublechecked the manual, I through I saw something there. Its the same what you use.
I can show you a picture later of my solution.

The gpu is almost always warmer then the gpu, so not sure that its something wrong with the CPU block.

I went back and re read your 1st post, for starters the Jingway dp 400 is a pretty low end pump, I'd be surprised if the flow through a cpu and gpu is good enough.

Second the Gpu will always be warmer then the Cpu, is that what you were trying to say?

It is? Understood it as a decent pump :/ Its a res and pump in one, to expensive to switch atm.. -.-

I just ment that the gpu gets equaly warm, so the cooling seemed allright.

So I possibly need a new pump?

I'm not saying it's a bad pump, it just may not be able to flow enough liquid for 2 radiators and 2 water blocks. Lets not go jumping to conclusions though. You said you rigged the cpu block in I would focus my attention there. You need to make sure it's mounted properly.

I'm not saying it's a bad pump, it just may not be able to flow enough liquid for 2 radiators and 2 water blocks. Lets not go jumping to conclusions though. You said you rigged the cpu block in I would focus my attention there. You need to make sure it's mounted properly.

On the site I saw the backplate was sold seperately. So I'm guessing no backplate. No good pressure on CPU block.

I just sent a request to see if I can get hold of the backplate in my country. Didn't want to pay for shipping from another country.

Don't laugh now ;P

Untitled23.jpg

Back