• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some advice with my 4200!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Codeman05

Ok just recently I started to have a problem when playing games. The games would "lag" at regular intervals when stressed. Then when I would run 3Dmark the same problem would occur. Once it hit nature things would go downhill, with the game pausing for a splitsecond every 1-2 seconds or so.
Any ideas?? I'm using ramsinks and a cooljag, haven't had a problem till this weekend :(
Thanks for the help, Codeman

PS: Card is listed in sig (primary rig)

OP
Codeman05

Codeman05

ok it looks like the HSF is no longer making as good contact :(
Whats the best way to remove it?? I used Artic Alumna Thermal Epoxy.
Put it in the freezer for awhile???

Overclocker456

no longer making good contact.. hmm.. I've never seen Arctic Alumna Expoy loose it's hold on anything.. In fact it's a pain in the a$$ to remove.. Did you mix it the right way??

OP
Codeman05

Codeman05

yep, and I just reapplied the cooljag on the core and still having the same problem....I may try putting the stock cooler back on and seeing if that makes a difference

Or maybe its not even a heat issue....since it just started out of the blue. Any ideas?? It seems like it started when I went back to the 30.82 dets in order to get GT3 to run, but I uninstalled and reinstalled the dets correctly, and even went back to the 40.70s with no change in the problem.
Any other ideas?
PS: I've got a temp probe pretty close to the core and the highest I saw it get on 3dmark was about 39C

Last edited:
OP
Codeman05

Codeman05

sure did, ran something like 250/420 and still same friggin problem....and thats why I'm not real sure its a heat issue. I did scratch the core slightly when removing the alumina adhesive...but I don't think thats the problem since the same problem is occuring that happened before I removed the cooljag inorder to reapply. I guess I can try reinstalling the factory HSF tonight or tomorrow cause I'm kinda getting desperate here :(

Last edited:
OP
Codeman05

Codeman05

Ok new development!
Temps look VERY low on the card...heck even the back of the card dosen't get above 40C like it used to easily. And the probe I put near the core dosen't get above 35C. So I dont think its a thermal issue but I'm pulling my hair out because I can't think of anything else lol. I'm going to try reinstallling drivers once more to see if that has any effect.

h0mersimps0n

I'll bet you anything its the motherboard. I have a MSI KT3 ULTRA ARU (the first revision made) and ran my 1600+ unlocked at 1829Mhz for two months then soldier of fortune 2 came out and everything was down hill from there...

turns out at 167fsb on my KT3, none of my high quality games would last more than 10 min w/o crashing back into windows. I played with every setting this side of the mississippi from RAM to AGP to EVERYTHING and decided that the northbridge was incapable of handling the bandwidth of a 166fsb...

My problem was more painful than yours, 3dmark and everything ran fine, I had only one or two games (SOF2 and some problems in GTA3).... Windows ran so fast it was wonderful. Unfortunately I had to throw my 2000+ back in the board and am hanging out till nforce2's are released (made for 333fsb) to REALLY beat the hell out of this unlocked 1600+, gonna make it scream..

sorry I couldn't be of more help, try turning down the fsb or agp in bios down to 2x or 1x. See if that helps, I'm betting the fsb change will... stupid MSI

OP
Codeman05

Codeman05

well my Board has run great and I love it. I dropped back to 133FSB and it still ran like crap. I'm pretty positive its the card, I'm going to try it in another computer this afternoon to be sure.

Overclocker456

I was thinking, what lagging you get, maybe your core is dying... why do I say that? when I clock my G4 ti 4200 up to 345 core is lags like that but when I put it to 340 it stops.. You said you under clocked it with the same problem.. try re-installing Win XP, if it still don't stop.. RMA time... I hope you don't have a visiontek.. cuz no RMA:(

OP
Codeman05

Codeman05

well I don't think I'll be able to RMA it, I did replace the stock GPU HSF and I nolonger have the pins to attach it back. Plus if they looked at the core they'd see a cpl little scratches, but I don't think they'd look that far, but who knows. I really don't want to reinstall xp again, I finally got it tweaked the way I want it lol. So I'm going to try the card in my backup (secondary in sig) and if it still acts fubar I guess I'll have to look for a replacement :(

OP
Codeman05

Codeman05

Well, thanks for all the help guys!! I took your advice overclocker 456 and reinstalled windows...its been more then 3 mnths for I was do for a fresh install lol. Looks like that cleared up the problem whew!

Yodums

Codeman05 said:
Well, thanks for all the help guys!! I took your advice overclocker 456 and reinstalled windows...its been more then 3 mnths for I was do for a fresh install lol. Looks like that cleared up the problem whew!

Although the situation is over with, that sounded like a driver problem within the video drivers or Via 4in1 to be specific. I would run some tests to see if your ram is transferring without errors and your HDD not having bad sectors.

Yodums

Overclocker456

Codeman05 said:

I'm glad I could help;)

OP
Codeman05

Codeman05

Yodums said:

Although the situation is over with, that sounded like a driver problem within the video drivers or Via 4in1 to be specific. I would run some tests to see if your ram is transferring without errors and your HDD not having bad sectors.

Yodums

How exactly can I test the ram?
I think the problem occured when I was changing Detonator drivers over the weekend. I tried out a few different versions and I think thats were the problem started.