• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some advice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Section8

Would I see any performance increase if I replaced my current Processor and MOBO 3GHz P4C/MSI 875P Neo with a socket 754 MOBO and say a 3400+ Processor? I was thinking with going with either the Epox or the MSI Platinum Nforce3 250 GB MOBO. I was originally planning on going socket 939 and an FX-53 but right now is a pretty bad time to upgrade with all the new technology coming out. I don't want to spend $1000 dollars and then not have the benefit of PCI-E and DDR2 so I figured I would just do the 754 system because it is a reasonable price. But back to my question do you think I will see a performance increase? I mainly use the system for photo editing and gaming. I have an X800 XT PE on the way already.

mcoleg

don't know first hand about 3400+ 64-bit but you got some pretty nice overclock going there... 3.5MHz with X800 XT PE should easily last you till pci-e standard settles in if you ask me.

oc_byagi

agreed with mcoleg, P4 overclocked isn't too much off from the performance of A64, and from what I know, A64 is still under development, as lot of things are still buggy and to be fixed and improved. P4C has been out for quite some time and the performance is at the top. I suggest you to keep it. (you're always welcomed to be part of AMD though)

OP
Section8

Section8

Thanks guys. I was kinda leaning that way and you pushed me in the right direction. I used to be able to get 3.8 out of this processor but one day my PSU crapped out on me so I went out and bought my PC Power and Cooling 510 Deluxe but now I can't get my vcore over 1.6 or it won't post? Maybe when my PSU went out it damaged the MOBO? I don't know? Thanks though.

mcoleg

3.8? nice... :) .pp&c could be sending too much juice on 12v rail for your m/b to handle. maybe some mosfet cooling's in order? i think it's worth investigating a bit, if you can possibly get it back to 3.8 you would hardly think of upgrade till next summer easy :p . or even if m/b is damaged, it's 100-150 green ones to replace it; compared to m/b-cpu upgrade it's quite tolerable. i wish i could do 3.8 on my pIV :p ...

gaming rig, eh? you didn't list what mouse you are using :p .