• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need some cooling bad!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

so many choices

Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2002
Location
San Jose, CA
Hey guys, while trying to do a voltage mod on my asus a7v133 I accidentally knocked off a part in my motherboard that i solderd my resistor to. I booted my system, Athlon [email protected] on my thermal right ax7, and I noticed that my vcore was stuck at 2.27. Since I screwed up trying to solder the resistor in the first place I'm not too thrilled about trying to solder a smaller resistor on my motherboard to maybe get the vcore down.

Do you guys have a suggestion on what kind of cooling I could use?
Right now my system is running at 45c with the side open and a air conditioner blowing in it:mad: and running seti i got to 48c and I closed it. I've looked around on all the watercooling systems available but would it have that much of a difference in what I've got now. I mean I do have an air conditioner blowing to my heatsink.
 

Haddy

Registered
Joined
Feb 22, 2002
Location
USA
so many choices said:
Hey guys, while trying to do a voltage mod on my asus a7v133 I accidentally knocked off a part in my motherboard that i solderd my resistor to. I booted my system, Athlon [email protected] on my thermal right ax7, and I noticed that my vcore was stuck at 2.27. Since I screwed up trying to solder the resistor in the first place I'm not too thrilled about trying to solder a smaller resistor on my motherboard to maybe get the vcore down.

Do you guys have a suggestion on what kind of cooling I could use?
Right now my system is running at 45c with the side open and a air conditioner blowing in it:mad: and running seti i got to 48c and I closed it. I've looked around on all the watercooling systems available but would it have that much of a difference in what I've got now. I mean I do have an air conditioner blowing to my heatsink.
48c isnt really that high around 60c is where u have to worry...and watercooling all depends on ur ambient temps, the lower those are the lower ur water temp, the lower ur processor temp (in thery ofcourse)
 

Cougar522

Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2002
Location
USA
water cooling would definitly help to a point but in your case mabe not at all. what is the temp of the air coming out of your ac? if it is lower than the temp that you could get your water in a watercooling rig then it may not help. But water transfers heat much better than air so im thinking you would get a benifit. my 2 cents
 
OP
S

so many choices

Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2002
Location
San Jose, CA
The thing is I cant have this ac up here all the time especially with summer coming up.

How do you lower the temp in a water cooling rig?

I always thaught it was the air that went through the radiator.

What is the best way to get your water to around 40c?
 

tft

Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2002
Location
R.I.
hmmm. Get a dangerden maze2-2 block, and all the tubes and stuff. A 400gph pump, a 220W peltier, some old PSU's to power it with, and a minifridge. Oh, and lots of foam for condensation.
Super-cool that computer :D
 

donny_paycheck

Inactive Super Quad Mod
Joined
Oct 25, 2001
A water cooling system with the AC blowing over the radiator would work wonders. But you said you can't have it up there for long, so with that kind of voltage you might want to start looking at a TEC module to cool it or if you're nuts, a vapochill case.
 

Haddy

Registered
Joined
Feb 22, 2002
Location
USA
so many choices said:
The thing is I cant have this ac up here all the time especially with summer coming up.

How do you lower the temp in a water cooling rig?

I always thaught it was the air that went through the radiator.

What is the best way to get your water to around 40c?
yes but u c water has a better heat transfer rate then air does so it can do more with higher temps then regualr air [email protected] that voltage with no overclock u wont need a tec...but with any kinda large overclock u will need a tec....
 

trdsw20

Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2002
Location
bay area
Maybe if you put the two ideas together it would work. Dont know too much about AC units and water but if you used the AC unit to cool the Rad wouldnt that be a chance.

In all of the trauma maybe the best thing to do is write Asus and see what kind of tech support they can provide for you.
At the end (at least how I feel) youll probably have to replace the board!I know you probably dont want to part with it but at your current situation seems like your just treading water. You could try to resolder and mess something else up, or try to cool it insuffieciently and fry the chip. Try resoldering maybe thats your best option (then again resistors do get hella small).
I dont know maybe there is hope!
Good Luck!
 
OP
S

so many choices

Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2002
Location
San Jose, CA
hella? hehe you must be from the bay...

I'm thinking about soldering a different resistor to it, maybe a 30k ohm or 33k ohm to lower the voltage but I think I'll need a smaller tip for my soldering iron.

Right now I have the windows open in the middle of the night and my ac on full blast and my cpu temp is at 35c. I still cant get the stubborn thing to run smoothly past 1620 (12x133). When I had my voltage at 1.85, before I got solder happy, I was getting 38c idle and 42c running SETI. Still then I couldn't get it past 1620. I have a ahyja athlon 1400. You guys think 1620 is the max it will go?

Does anyone know what a TEC is?
 

trdsw20

Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2002
Location
bay area
What is it down south VERY (inside Cali joke)
Off subject but you know linkage for frys ads?
They got great deals and some soldering stuff for you too!!!
 
OP
S

so many choices

Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2002
Location
San Jose, CA
I'll probly go to fry's tomorrow. Soldering a different resistor would be much cheaper than a new motherboard

Do you know what they:rolleyes: mean by TEC?
 

res0r9lm

Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2001
Location
florida
so many choices said:
hella? hehe you must be from the bay...

I'm thinking about soldering a different resistor to it, maybe a 30k ohm or 33k ohm to lower the voltage but I think I'll need a smaller tip for my soldering iron.

Right now I have the windows open in the middle of the night and my ac on full blast and my cpu temp is at 35c. I still cant get the stubborn thing to run smoothly past 1620 (12x133). When I had my voltage at 1.85, before I got solder happy, I was getting 38c idle and 42c running SETI. Still then I couldn't get it past 1620. I have a ahyja athlon 1400. You guys think 1620 is the max it will go?

Does anyone know what a TEC is?
probly not, thats about where mine tops @ 1.85. try to get it between 1.90 and 1.95 by anding another resistor in line with the one you already have.
 
OP
S

so many choices

Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2002
Location
San Jose, CA
res0r9lm said:

probly not, thats about where mine tops @ 1.85. try to get it between 1.90 and 1.95 by anding another resistor in line with the one you already have.

right now I'm using a 27k ohm resistor.

Which resistor could I use to get it down to 1.95?

would i need something bigger, as in 33k ohm, or something smaller, like a 24k ohm?
 

RnPgrosz

Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2001
Location
NJ
Re: Re: need some cooling bad!

Haddy said:
48c isnt really that high around 60c is where u have to worry...and watercooling all depends on ur ambient temps, the lower those are the lower ur water temp, the lower ur processor temp (in thery ofcourse)

You should try to stay below 50C.
 

res0r9lm

Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2001
Location
florida
so many choices said:


right now I'm using a 27k ohm resistor.

Which resistor could I use to get it down to 1.95?

would i need something bigger, as in 33k ohm, or something smaller, like a 24k ohm?
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44195
this link will show you the right way to vmod a board without having to solder. once you see what I'm talking about if you have any problem figuring what leg to use let me know