• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need some help overclocking my E8400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Steps for overclocking the Core2Duos:

1. Remove from motherboard.
2. Throw in trash.
3. Buy an 7600k.

Seriously, the only thing Core2Duos kill at anymore is browsing YouTube. Those chips are ancient.

ok well for 3.7ghz what voltage setting should i set my vcore to righty now its set to 3.8
i dont know...as the guide says, you want the lowest value that is stable for whatever clockspeed in the end. What are stress test (small ftt) load temps? All tbis matters and....you guessed it.. is in the guide..

i turned on my pc for the first time today and it booted into stock settings and disabled the overclock

edit im testing my overclock at 3.25 volts on the vcore will report back in a bit

20 mins in blend and 20 mins in small FFTs at 3.25 volts on the vcore havent tested lower but so far its stable no errores

edit still having the reboot issue i left my pc turned off for over 3 hours and when i turned it back on it booted into windows with the stock cpu settings overclock disabled other bios settings remain unchanged its only the overclock settings that are affected
im wondering just how many times you post the same voltage typo...3.8V would kill your chip. You've posted that half a dozen times or more already, lol! Lets get back to punctuation use and getting the right values posted. :)

Did you get that cmos battery yet??? Repeating the same problem without applying a possible solution doesnt help anyone. :)

Last edited:
i dont know...as the guide says, you want the lowest value that is stable for whatever clockspeed in the end. What are stress test (small ftt) load temps? All tbis matters and....you guessed it.. is in the guide..

im wondering just how many times you post the same voltage typo...3.8V would kill your chip. Yoyve posted that half a dozen times or more already, lol! Lets get back to punctuation use and getting the riggt values posted. :)

Did you get that cmos battery yet??? Repeating the same problem without applying a possible solution doesnt help anyone. :)

still waiting on the cmos batter as for temps 53c for both ffts and blend voltage is 3.25 as set by me in the bios any lower and the system wont boot

still waiting on the cmos batter as for temps 53c for both ffts and blend voltage is 3.25 as set by me in the bios any lower and the system wont boot

Your CPU voltage cannot possibly be at 3.25v. It would kill your chip instantly, and I don't think it's even possible for you to set the voltage that high.

You must mean 1.325v???

2. Throw in trash.
3. Buy an 7600k.

Seriously, the only thing Core2Duos kill at anymore is browsing YouTube. Those chips are ancient.

I had one it played hitman Absolution and bf4 just fine

Your CPU voltage cannot possibly be at 3.25v. It would kill your chip instantly, and I don't think it's even possible for you to set the voltage that high.

You must mean 1.325v???
she glossed over my mention of it and did it again.. :p

10-4... let us know. :)

You must mean 1.325v???

yes 1.325 sorry im half asleep its been a busy day

edit i do apologize for my ****ty typing skills and shotty thinking been having a rough few days maybe i should halt the oc till i can clear my head

she glossed over my mention of it and did it again.. :p

10-4... let us know. :)

cmos battery installed stable at 3.71GHz at a manual 1.325 Vcore in the bios anything higher then 3.71 and it wont boot so im happy all memory settings are on auto

cmos battery installed stable at 3.71GHz at a manual 1.325 Vcore in the bios anything higher then 3.71 and it wont boot so im happy all memory settings are on auto

Your limiting factor in this situation is the bios not having tools to allow you to downclock the frequency of the memory bus.

2. Throw in trash.
3. Buy an 7600k.

I am able to play Battlefield 1, Battlefield 4, Star Wars Battlefront, and some other games perfectly fine with a Geforce 750ti.

Until that core 2 duos instruction sets become obsolete, i dont see why anyone should stop using it.

Now if it was a Pentium 3 or Pentium 4, yeah it might be time to upgrade.

Is this for real? hehe

You better believe its real.

unless either of you two have the money to help Kaitlin here upgrade...

@kaitlin4599
I dont know if this was asked before, but what ram specifically are you using? brand name and model and all.

You can play the games, sure, however, you are putting a pretty low glass ceiling on things using such an old processor with only two cores/threads. PLenty of info on that at techreport.com...

..for example: http://www.techspot.com/review/734-battlefield-4-benchmarks/page6.html

Look how the Ph II x6 does with a slightly slower clock compared to the Ph II x2 with 200 Mhz more.... then look at the x3 above the x2... slower clock, on more core and WAY more FPS.... ;)

Again, for MOST games you can play it (though there are a couple that WILL NOT WORK with a dual core, you need more than 2 threads), so, yes.. playable, but long in the tooth in many cases. :)

I gave it a try and all my games play on 2 cores only. I'm wondering what games will not run on 2 cores only?

Last edited:
You can play the games, sure, however, you are putting a pretty low glass ceiling on things using such an old processor with only two cores/threads. PLenty of info on that at techreport.com...

..for example: http://www.techspot.com/review/734-battlefield-4-benchmarks/page6.html

Look how the Ph II x6 does with a slightly slower clock compared to the Ph II x2 with 200 Mhz more.... then look at the x3 above the x2... slower clock, on more core and WAY more FPS.... ;)

Again, for MOST games you can play it (though there are a couple that WILL NOT WORK with a dual core, you need more than 2 threads), so, yes.. playable, but long in the tooth in many cases. :)

My bad, i should have also mentioned architecture as well. But even so, Core 2 Duos are not completely obsolete yet. They are around the part where one would say "your core 2 duo will still work, but an upgrade would greatly help" or something like that.

I mean i still use one myself. Because i always wanted one, and because i find it makes sense for what i want to do with it (old games, guest computer, updating satellite meter, and flashing custom test firmware to wireless routers)

Back