• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some help please, first oc'ing. =)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SiRuX

Hey Guys, I'm a total noob so please mind me.

I want to overclock my AMD Athlon 2 x4 630 AM3

Heres my computer's specs.

Asus M4A785T-M
Sapphire Radeon 5770 Vapor-x
4GB of ddr3 pc3-10333
380 antec earthwatt psu

I know my psu is a bit on the low side but my computer is very staple.

My CPU idles around 38c
my video card idles at 32c

I got a Intake fan in the front of my case and a exhaust in the back..

Also, which heatsink/cpu fan could I get here:
http://www.bewawa.com/hardware/fans-cooling.html?cat=73
That'll benefit me.. I don't want to pay more than $30...

Whats the highest I can 'safely' overclock my cpu to with that fan?
And how would I go about that without messing up big time.

Would I have to re-apply thermal paste etc? :(?

Willing to pay someone who walks me through overclocking my system.

Thanks to anyone who actually helps me with this!

Know Nuttin

:welcome: to the forums

Best budget hsf that I've seen around is the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus. You can get that in Canada pretty cheap, under $30 with fan.

That said, it's hard to say what you can reach with what cooler since you don't have anything but the stock cooler and haven't provided what temps you get with the CPU on load. I really don't understand why people always post idle temps so often, don't we buy our computers to use them and not sit at idle all the time? anyways.....

I'd expect you to hit at least 3.3Ghz on stock, though it's tough to say if you should since there is still no idea about what your load temps are.

Lower your HT Link speed and CPU NB speed, and also your memory speed, you will want to adjust those after you find your cpu speed.

You should read Dolk's sticky about overclocking, great info there.

OP
S

SiRuX

:welcome: to the forums

Best budget hsf that I've seen around is the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus. You can get that in Canada pretty cheap, under $30 with fan.

That said, it's hard to say what you can reach with what cooler since you don't have anything but the stock cooler and haven't provided what temps you get with the CPU on load. I really don't understand why people always post idle temps so often, don't we buy our computers to use them and not sit at idle all the time? anyways.....

I'd expect you to hit at least 3.3Ghz on stock, though it's tough to say if you should since there is still no idea about what your load temps are.

Lower your HT Link speed and CPU NB speed, and also your memory speed, you will want to adjust those after you find your cpu speed.

You should read Dolk's sticky about overclocking, great info there.

Thanks for the response bud,
How would I quickly figure out how hot it runs under full load so I can give you an example?

OP
S

SiRuX

At idle the cores go down to like 25c and the cpu stays at 38

Know Nuttin

Ottawa.

Those are ok, you have some play though not too too much.

So you need to go to BIOS, go to Advanced, set options to manual for overclocking, then change the CPU/HTT Ref clock from 200 to a higher value. Go slow, no rush.

The manual doesn't seem to show much for overclocking options so i don't know what is available.

$SOLID$Necro

Make sure when you read your "Load" temps that all 4 cores are loaded 100% I am not sure if Prime 95 detects all 4 or not, it's been a while since I ran it on my Quad...if not you will have to launch the program twice..or use OCCT, that is also a decent program.

You can check by hitting ctrl alt delete (Task Manager) and look at your CPU usage under the performance tab.

Know Nuttin

Make sure when you read your "Load" temps that all 4 cores are loaded 100% I am not sure if Prime 95 detects all 4 or not, it's been a while since I ran it on my Quad...if not you will have to launch the program twice..or use OCCT, that is also a decent program.

You can check by hitting ctrl alt delete (Task Manager) and look at your CPU usage under the performance tab.

the newest prime95 loads all 4 cores. Creates 4 threads of work.

Dooms101

Well if you want to know what will fit your socket type (which is socket AMD AM3) just look for coolers compatible with AMD sockets 940, AM2, AM2+, and/or AM3. Thankfully AMD has had the same retention design for a number of years so most coolers will fit your socket. As for your cooler, I am not 100% sure, I'll let someone else recommend one for you instead.

As for reapplying TIM (a.k.a. thermal paste), you simply clean off the old TIM on the CPU and on the bottom of the heatsink using a lint free cloth and some rubbing alcohol. I use cotton balls and q-tips dipped in 70% isoprophyl rubbing alcohol (typical medicinal stuff from a drug store) and then I blow off the surfaces with blow dryer to get anything off them. Basically you need to clean both the CPU top and heatsink bottom, and make sure you do NOT scratch them at all. Then follow your TIM's applying instructions. Most people like to use Arctic Silver 5 (I love it), which is around $9 after shipping for a 10-cpu use mini-syringe. With most TIM's, you simply put a small dot about the size of an uncooked grain of rice on the very center of the CPU. You then slowly, using even pressure, place the heatsink on to the cpu. Before you attach the clips, move the heatsink around on the cpu to get a really good seal. Make sure you don't lift up on the heatsink as it'll make air bubbles between it and the cpu. Then clip it into place! It may sound hard, but it's really not that difficult.

QuietIce

Disabled
http://www.bewawa.com/hardware/fans-cooling/cpu-heatsink-fan.html What fan here will fit on my AMD Athlon 2 x4 630? with a asus m4a785T-M mobo????Since I have a discount there.. Don't want to spend anything more than $50

Is it hard to reapply thermal paste etc?
The OCZ Vendetta used to be in the Top 10 not too long ago and since there's nothing on that site that's on the current list that's what I'd go with.

BTW - A coffee filter is a perfect "lint-free cloth" for removing TIM ...!->

OP
S

SiRuX

Okay, so I set the CPU/HT to 210 and its stable.. I get around 2950MHZ
If I set it any higher than 210 windows won't boot.. and anything around 215 the pc won't boot.

With 2.95ghz it runs at 52c at load for 15 mins..

I got options that are all at auto and I don't know what to do with them like

HT link Freq
HT link Width
HT overcoltage
cpu/nb freq
processor freq
VDDNB over coltage
cpu over voltage

QuietIce

Disabled
HT link Freq 8X (or 1600, whichever is there)
HT link Width (16^16v)
HT overcoltage (auto)
cpu/nb freq 9X
processor freq 14X (? that's odd labeling for ASUS)
VDDNB over coltage (Depends on what the options are)
cpu over voltage (Depends on what the options are)

Also, I noticed you may have Cool 'N Quiet or C1E still enabled (since your processor is below stock speed in that pic) - you should turn those off ... :)

Know Nuttin

HT link Freq 8X (or 1600, whichever is there)
HT link Width (16^16v)
HT overcoltage (auto)
cpu/nb freq 9X
processor freq 14X (? that's odd labeling for ASUS)
VDDNB over coltage (Depends on what the options are)
cpu over voltage (Depends on what the options are)

Also, I noticed you may have Cool 'N Quiet or C1E still enabled (since your processor is below stock speed in that pic) - you should turn those off ... :)

Good advice. You will want to drop the HT Link Freq and CPU/NB Freq once you get past 2000 roughly, you can check their frequencies with CPU-Z.

As for a heatsink, this is what I use with very good results

http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/218427/COOLERMASTER/RR_B10_212P_GP/

I added a second fan, a Yate Loon 47cfm that runs at full speed all the time, load temps with Intel Burn-In are around 43c after an hour.