• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some help with a desk mod - LCD Mounting question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

evomac

Greetings all. I hope this is the correct place to post this question. I have tried to ask this question on another forum and didn't really receive that much help. Long story short I am build a new desktop for my current desk. It is going to remove all the unneeded shelving that you typically find on a standard store bought desk.

It is a corner desk with nothing on it except a monitor stand that will go all the way back into the corner of the wall and stick out 22 inches from the wall out. The stand stick out like a V (if the bottom part of the V is the corner of the wall).

Here's what I am trying to figure out how to do. I'd like to mount a "floating drawer" in the center of this stand. The catch is, there is no place to mount the drawer except to the bottom of the stand. There will be no side mounts available. The entire mount will need to be able to be suspended by the one piece of wood that is the shelf above it.

The goal, create a "floating drawer" that will conceal a 15 inch LCD screen. So that when it is opened the monitor will lay on the desk in a a "\" fashion. I have drawn some pretty bad paint sketches as to what I am looking to do. Any help would be appreciated.

Note the desktop is already cut and finished. This is sort of a afterthought since I have a 15 inch LCD laying around I figure I'd put it to good use. It's a old LCD so it doesn't match my Dell WS. I'd much rather it be hidden and have the ability to "pull out as needed". I plan to use this as a media controlling monitor + a place to toss the indicators for software like CoreTemp among others.

Regards in Advance,
-Evo-

OP
evomac

evomac

monoprice.com

Look for the LCD mounts, they have one that trifolds flat
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10828&cs_id=1082802&p_id=3323&seq=1&format=2

I have 2, just waiting on a second monitor prior to installing the first one.

That actually wont work. I need it to mount as if it was a drawer since the mounting will actually be flat under the stand. I wont have any place to mount that bracket. It really needs to be some sort of floating drawer system. I've look at a ton of different LCD mounts none of them really seem to fit the bill.

Neuromancer

From your images the LCD monitor flops down from a drawer?

So how is this drawer mounted that the LCD folds down "onto" the desk?

Some options might be a simple spring mounted support like the kind on the back of a picture frame... except srping loaded :)

(Drawer is pushed shut the springs stretch as support folds flat against bottom of monitor. Some type of hinge will still have to be created for the top.. Either a couple of small ones or even a full horizontal span hinge, I forget what they are called)

You could also design (more complex) the same type of mechanism that car stereos use to pop out the LCD..only differnce is it would not be motorized...

Or how about instead of a drawer. Just a pull down board? Long hinge on the back, you could use some type of gas hinge to keep it from plopping down when you unlatch it. Then push it up and latch it when you do not need it?

Ah nm.. I rally dont know how to help you just reread you post again and see you said most of these ideas are no go.