• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need some help with a z97 oc formula

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

funsoul

Hi Folks

Got a z97 oc formula open box from newegg and trying to get it set up for some ram testing. Am running the board with my 6+GHz g3258 under water.

So far...set up xp and 7x86 without any real issues. Everything boots fine at default settings. Figure that I'll only shoot for running the cpu at 4GHz for now.

Everything seems ok at default except that xp is a little weird. To shutdown or reboot, I have to do it twice before the system starts to actually reboot/shutdown...doing it the first time doesn't do anything :/

Applied the settings in the below screenshots and now am experiencing multiple issues including:
- although there's no post error, the system only boots at 32x instead of 40x
- am unable to change the multi using the asrock oc tool nor on-board button. When/if I try to change the multi using the on-board tool, the system freezes immediately.
- tried a number of single psc sticks, can't get them running at default speed even with up to 1.85v (a single 2933 tridentx stick gets right into windows at 1467)

Is it me or the motherboard? Am I missing something? Do I have a setting wrong? These settings on the xpower ac were enough to get the cpu to 5GHz and psc at 2600/2666 without issues.

Tips, ideas, tricks, etc greatly appreciated!
z97ocf-bios1.jpg
z97ocf-bios2.jpg
z97ocf-bios3.jpg
z97ocf-bios4.jpg

Heya ATM
Yeah...tried a few of them, no go atm :/ Using a 2933 stick atm (running at default speed)...4.8GHz (4.4 cache) without issue.

Even if I am missing a setting (or have 1 or more set incorrectly), think there's an issue with the board. No matter what I set in bios for multi (48x), the system always shows only 32x in windows. If I open the oc tool (which shows everything set as in bios) and change a setting then click apply, the cpu goes to the multi set in bios (48x).

What does CPUz say? Windows is often unreliable.

Also, I had some issues with PSC on 1150, just something to keep in mind.

set 48x in bios
boot to windows
open cpu-z, shows 3.2GHz
open formula drive, shows 4.8GHz
reduce multi to 47x, click apply, cpu-z shows 4.7
increase multi to 48x, click apply, cpu-z shows 4.8

Hmmmm....not seeing what you mean. Intel turbo mode is set to disabled. The max value for cpu non-turbo ratio is 32. Tried it on auto as well as 32 but still the same results. :(

Newegg's giving me a full refund. Was concerned buying an open box...I have a feeling that someone abused it as the ln2 and slow-mo switches were set to the on positions when it arrived. Hopefully I won't have so many issues with a bnib.

Yeah...well :/ Already have a bnib ocf on the way and newegg already issued the rma. Plan to test the bnib and if it's psc friendly, then return the open box one for the full refund. If it's not psc friendly, will have to decide next step.

I'd put the open box one up for sale but no way I could get as much as I paid for it (tax and shipping costs sucked).

Finally got a chance to take the g3258 cold with this board. Went ok but am still not getting up around the same speeds as with the xpower ac. Figuring I've got some issues with the bios settings so wanted to ask the group for assistance.

Any suggestions on what's holding the chip back?

tia!
g3258-spi1-6.281.jpg
g3258-spi32-5.34.797.jpg
bios01.jpg
bios02.jpg
bios03.jpg
bios04.jpg
bios05.jpg
bios06.jpg

With a voltage of 1.8+ and similar results on two boards, I'd say your chip has run out of gas the only thing that sticks out is the input voltage at 1.7 if that's the option I think it is it should be .3 or more above the CPU_Core voltage

I'm not ready to give up on this thing yet. The settings are a bit different between the 2 boards so thinking that's where the issue is atm.

Yeah...don't worry about the 'actual' values that are showing. I reset the system, went in to bios, loaded the ln2-xp profile and took the screenshots.

Tried the input voltage from 2.4-2.6, it didn't really seem to make a difference.

Back