• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some help with floppy assembly

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Voltush

Well, it's the first time I've build my own computer, and I'm having some trouble with getting the floppy drive to work. All is just fine except the floppy drive, I can see it in My Computer, but when I insert a disk and try to explore it, i get a "Please insert a disk into Drive A" error. Plus, the LED on the drive isn't flashing or lighting at all, seems totally dead.

What could be the problem, and how can I fix it ?

Thanks in advance. :)

fiji

it probably is dead....

if it isnt it might be that you didnt' install the drivers, or windows didnt install the drivers for it

OP
V

Voltush

fiji said:
it probably is dead....

if it isnt it might be that you didnt' install the drivers, or windows didnt install the drivers for it

I don't recall I installed them.. How do I do that ? I'm using WinXP..

stool

Welcome to the forums.
First thing to check is in your BIOS. Make sure that the floppy is recognized, and the correct size floppy is selected. You'll also have to make sure the floppy controller is enabled. Next, check the cable orientation, and make sure it is correct. Also, try a couple of different cables.

penquissciguy

Along with the good suggestions above, I would suggest you make sure that the power cable to the drive is connected and in the right orientation. Also, the end of your cable that does not have a twist in it should be the one plugged into your mobo. If you reverse the cable, she ain't gonna work. The red edge of the cable at the drive end should be all the way to the left, exactly opposite the way your hard drive's cable connects. Hope this helps.

Ken