• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some help with overclocking my amd phenom 965 BE.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HaanzZ

Hello everyone!

Alright, the thing is that i have been trying to OC my phenom 965 from 3.4 ghz (stock) to a stable 3.7 ghz (to begin with).
And now im running into something that i think is a problem. After increasing the multiplier and vcore i ran prime95 blend test several times. With latest bios settings it ran for 6 1/2 hours and then error : "rounding was 0.5 expected less than 0.4".
I've read that it could be a RAM issue, but i ran memtest86 with 3 passes so now im puzzled.

My mobo is asus m4a77td
Temps are not a problem (idle: 32C and load 44-45C)
Cooler: corsair h80

I could really use some help or suggestions what to do. (this is my first time posting here)

Try adding a little core voltage and give it another run. Use coretemp to monitor the temperature.

I have vcore at 1.49 in my bios but as soon as i start prime95 it drops and jumps between 1.424 and 1.440. And correct me if im wrong, i think thats becouse of the LLC. But i dont know what values to put it on.. Its running on auto now.

And also, for some reason only speedfan is showing my cpu temp (i have tried all other programs that i can think of). But speedfan works fine:)

from personal experience with that mobo your not going to get any further, LLC should always be at 100% and with that mobo that isn't even close enough to straighten out the voltage issues, the 2nd thing is if your 965 is the c3 revision your shouldn't need anything close to that voltage unless your going for 4+ ghz. I rarely hear about a 965 that requires anything over 1.45v to hit 3.9ghz.

For checking coretemps on that mobo use coretemp or hwmonitor them are the only 2 that work, the rest can't even read the cpu temps correctly.

from personal experience with that mobo your not going to get any further, LLC should always be at 100% and with that mobo that isn't even close enough to straighten out the voltage issues, the 2nd thing is if your 965 is the c3 revision your shouldn't need anything close to that voltage unless your going for 4+ ghz. I rarely hear about a 965 that requires anything over 1.45v to hit 3.9ghz.

For checking coretemps on that mobo use coretemp or hwmonitor them are the only 2 that work, the rest can't even read the cpu temps correctly.

Thank you very much for quick responses! I will work from the beginnig in dealing with vcore and LLC on 100% now.

Do you have any recommendations on what other settings i should pay attention to? And also i agree with you on the mobo not being good but do you still think i could get it past 3.8?

you could try bumping up the cpu/nb freq to 2400 giving it 1.2v and see if that helps you go a little higher but I would avoid going any higher on your vcore as the mobo isn't capable of handling it, your vcore will be all over the place and I bet your mosfets get too hot to touch when running prime. I tried putting heatsinks on mine but it didn't do anything to stabilize the voltage, its just a cheap mobo with low quality components so there is only so far its going to go.

Again, thank you for providing me some great suggestions, i'll try that later today.
But i gotta ask, how are you able to get your cpu stable at 3.9 with that vcore when i needed atleast 1.42 to get 3.7?

Again, thank you for providing me some great suggestions, i'll try that later today.
But i gotta ask, how are you able to get your cpu stable at 3.9 with that vcore when i needed atleast 1.42 to get 3.7?

each chip is different in its own little way, some can do 3.9 on 1.375 while some just require lots of vcore, its takes 1.5v to get another 100mhz out of it which isn't worth the extra heat.

With HWMonitor, the CPU temp is there it's just that it may give it a generic designation like TMPINx of which there are usually several.

Thanks to all of you! i have learned alot :)

+ i figured out hwmonitor aswell

Back