• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need the best AGP card out there....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

henzo

I have an old puter that everyone uses as an internet machine (dont care about getting viruses on that one lol). But, my question is, what is the best AGP card that I can get for it seeing as I would like to play some games on it when others come over for short gaming sessions. I would like to get a good card worthy of fairly new games. I currently have a GeForce 7600GS in there now and was wondering how much better it can get. Also it has a gig and a half of ram with an AMD 2800+ socket 754 cpu in there also. Mobo is a gigabyte and I run XP Pro SP2.

I think that a 3850 will be pretty fine but you will have bottleneck issues for sure.

CPU bottlenecking is overrated. My 8800GT is the biggest bottleneck in my dual opteron. I know because I went from 2.75 to 3.15 ghz without changes in FEAR framerates whatsoever (1280x1024, 4xFSAA+8xAF).

No changes in noticeable frame rates or no changes in actual frame rates? Either way your situation is ALOT different then the OPs, AMD64 2800+ is going to bottleneck with a 3850 in most situations.

In your situation the CPU isn't a bottleneck to begin with, so the overclock doesn't change much. CPU isn't the main factor in games performance, that would be the GPU, unless the CPU is slow enough to be a bottleneck.

If You are going to go down this road and get a HD3850 AGP, then I would suggest the Sapphire Brand, mainly as it has fewer compatibility issues with certain chipsets, my Powercolor unit works perfectly with my Intel 865 chipset, but there can be problems with Via and Nvidia chipset based mobo's.
There is a huge thread on the HD3850 AGP over at Guru3d.

If You are going to go down this road and get a HD3850 AGP, then I would suggest the Sapphire Brand, mainly as it has fewer compatibility issues with certain chipsets, my Powercolor unit works perfectly with my Intel 865 chipset, but there can be problems with Via and Nvidia chipset based mobo's.
There is a huge thread on the HD3850 AGP over at Guru3d.

bro, ur 3850 oc very good
u do a volt mod???

TS : S754 will bottleneck 3850 agp with newer game :)
consider ur upgrade, if u got s939 u may consider upgrade dual core cpu & gfx,
since u s754, only can overclock speed, newer games need more than 1 core
try supreme commander and u will understand ;)

bro, ur 3850 oc very good
u do a volt mod???

I just updated my Sig, running now at 810/999(1998ddr) no probs at all.
No volt mod required as Powercolor run the GPU at 1.33v, which is higher than standard Pci-ex 3850.
The Sapphire card will not overclock this high due to lower GPU volts as standard, my Pentium M single core is a bottleneck with games like Crysis and it's about the most powerful Single core cpu around (when overclocked). So Your S754 will cause some issues.

Henzo, I hope i'm not hijacking your thread by asking a similar question.

The Albatron 7600GS AGP on my GF's PC (a P4 s478 3,2 Prescott with 2 gigs of RAM) died a few days ago.

Seeing as it was still in warranty (barely), I took it back to the store I bought it from (it was covered by a 3-year warranty by the store, I don't know how long Albatron's warranty lasts).

They told me that they 're gonna give me a new AGP card tommorow, but they don't carry Nvidia AGP cards anymore.

So its probably gonna be a 2600XT or a Pro (depending on whats in stock, both models come with 512mb ddr3).

I know both of these cards are better than the 7600GS. But can they play modern games reasonably well at low resolutions (1024x768-1280x1024)?

I just updated my Sig, running now at 810/999(1998ddr) no probs at all.
No volt mod required as Powercolor run the GPU at 1.33v, which is higher than standard Pci-ex 3850.
The Sapphire card will not overclock this high due to lower GPU volts as standard, my Pentium M single core is a bottleneck with games like Crysis and it's about the most powerful Single core cpu around (when overclocked). So Your S754 will cause some issues.

hmm the power color default GPU core was 1.33v
ic
hmm saphire one use lower default voltage?
hmm too bad since i saw many power color got compatibilty problem with nf3 :(

i think i had to play safe using saphire 1 even meaning lower overclock :(

I know both of these cards are better than the 7600GS. But can they play modern games reasonably well at low resolutions (1024x768-1280x1024)?

They can play games at lower resolutions yes, though if they gave you an X1900/1950 AGP card instead it would be faster overall then a 2600, no DX10 but then a 2600 can't deal with DX10 games anyways.

hmm the power color default GPU core was 1.33v
ic
hmm saphire one use lower default voltage?
hmm too bad since i saw many powercolor got compatibilty problem with nf3 :(

i think i had to play safe using sapphire 1 even meaning lower overclock :(

The overclock on the vid card won't make a diff on your rig anyway.

i had a 3000+ 754 rig with a AGP 7600GS 512mb and 2gb ddr400 ram and it couldn't run modern games for squat. crysis on low settings looked like a slide show. i upgraded that machine to a 3800+ 939 with a PCIe 6600GT 256mb and 2gb ddr400. it was the best thing i ever did for that machine. the graphics are some much smoother now. it ended up being kind of a pointless upgrade though...now it just sits in the corner as a 24/7 folding machine. i do use it as my test mule to try different linux distros though.

The 3850 is the best its ever going to get for AGP. I read that they won't be producing any more models period for AGP. I have an x1950PRO that's hitting Ebay in the next few days. It pains me to sell it but other than that let it sit in the trophy case? Its a Visiontek with lifetime warranty so someone will be on good shape.

Back