• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need to build a multimedia computer!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bboy_Jon

So I have been out of the loop for a while. I havent been into computer modding and what not since high school :(

Anyways, my dad called me up and his friend wants a gaming computer...turns out she is using the computer for web design, and other multimedia related stuff so my dad is a noob :D

So what are some good parts? I need all of the hardware, plus the case. This is for a lady so smaller is probably better, referring to the case.

I assume that processors are still as they were many years ago; intel would be better for multimedia related work?

Video card, power supply, motherboard, etc?

Hard drives arent too important; I can find them my self. She is also looking for a good amount of ram; she wants 4 gb's at least, just need something to work with the mobo.

Also, what are some nice, clean but cheap cases? Should I stick with an atx setup or can I pull this off with a micro atx setup or something? Perhaps there are new styles that I dont know about?

Anyways, would this setup be possible for around $700-800? The cheaper I can go, the more I can charge to put it together :D

I really doubt she needs to "top of the line" hardware, but I would prefer building her a nice computer that can handle all of her multimedia related needs and wont need an upgrade for atleast a few years.

Any help would be appreciated :D

Antec three hundred is an excellent starter case, and only $60. Throw a 120mm fan in the cart to go with-> The side panel has room for one, but doesnt come with it.

If she needs video gogo juice, the Radeon 5850 is an outstanding performer. I have 2, myself :D Superb crossfire performance.

If she DOES NOT need video power, the built in i5 Intel 2300 may be a viable option with decent performance to boot!

Socket 1155, sandy-bridge, one of the priciest components, but is definitely a solid choice.

4Gb sticks of DDR3 should run around $50 ea, probably around $50-$60 for a 4gb pair of 2x 2Gb

Motherboards, as always tons of options. H67 boards with integrated video such as the biostar, or MSI. Biostar has DVI out, which may be a nicer alternative.

More expensive options without integrated video, Gigabyte has a Crossfire ready board for a decent price. The UD3P Is what I'm currently running.

USB 3 is probably a good detail to scout for, for media needs. A pair of Seagate Goflex USB 3 drives just fly! :D $100 at walmert, and they may still have the promotion to get a free $20 gift card when you buy one.

Antec 550w should skim by for the needs, Antec 650w if you're needing a little more juice than the 500 mark (I'm currently running my 2500k, dual 5850, 3x 1tb drives, ssd, off of a 610W PCP&C), and a 760w PCP&C for the good measure end :D

Enjoy :clap:

So I'm assuming she isn't doing any heavy video stuff with this. And I know, for most non-enthusiasts, small and not flashy = good. Therefore, go Mini-ITX?
Fast dual core, SSD for frequently used apps/OP (makes the computer extremely fast to the normal user, 500gb for storage, EXTREMELY small).
SB's integrated video is pretty beefy for being integrated video, but if you need more oomph, that PSU should handle any HTPC marketed video card easily.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    38.9 KB · Views: 98
If you have a microcenter nearby, they have a 64Gb sandforce drive on sale for $100.

SSD will definitely give WOW FAST factor, but you have to deal with making sure they dont go trying to install everything on their dinky little 64gb drive.

Looks good guys. I appreciate it. Ill get back to you guys with questions once I figure out more information.

I think SSD drives would be a great idea, but space might be an issue. Perhaps I could get the ssd for the OS install and grab a 2 tb sata or something.

What specifically is she doing multimedia wise? Web authoring doesn't require a powerhouse. If you're doing 3d modelling or CAD or intense photoshop work or video editing you can benefit from a fast CPU and GPU acceleration and faster storage in an SSD but depending on the actual usage model we could be talking as little as 4 or 500 or as much as 1000 :). Do you know more specifically what she is going to do on it?

Alright so, based on her website

http://digital-designs-by-elena.com/

She uses photoshop cs 2/cs 3 to make digital graphics. So I am assumming she probably wont need too much gpu power?

She needs atleast 2 TB of space, so might just get a sata one. If the budget permits, perhaps get an ssd to speed things up a bit.

Probably wont need TOO much ram, so 4 gb should be enough.

She needs an OS too, does windows 7 still offer the discounted college student price? I forgot, is it just an upgrade (as in an existing form of windows is needed) or can you do a clean install?

Knufire, that setup looks good. Should be enough for photoshop right?

Man, thats amazing that they have video, integrated into the processor now! The mobo looks fine, but is there another good one possibly with dvi? Im not really sure what her monitor situation is.

She said that $800 seems a bit expensive, so I figure with Knufire's setup but dropping the SS drive and throwing on a 2tb sata it should be more reasonable although I still need the oS :(

Last edited:
if $100 is too expensive, goodbye to the greatness of a Mini-ITX build...you pay more for the super small footprint. If she's using old versions, such as CS2/CS3, she should be fine with the 4GB RAM and fast dual-core. It's an expensive, but super nice Mini-ITX case, I remember Miahallen built a hell of a gaming system inside of one in the same line as that one, there's a front page article on it somewhere.

But anyway, here's your build. Further suggestions are appreciated :thup::

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    37.7 KB · Views: 92
Probably wont need TOO much ram, so 4 gb should be enough.

She needs an OS too, does windows 7 still offer the discounted college student price? I forgot, is it just an upgrade (as in an existing form of windows is needed) or can you do a clean install?

I'd still try to fit 8gb of ram into the budget if you can. Photoshop along with some heavy multitasking can eat through most of my 4gb.

Yes, you can still get Win7 for $29.99 if you have a student email addy.
http://www.microsoft.com/student/en/us/windows/buynow/default.aspx

Knufire, looks good. I need to run this stuff by her and see what she thinks

Does the win 7 student thing require an older version of windows (ie, its an upgrade) or is it able to do clean installs? I think I used it for a clean install on my setup but I dont remember :/

Does the win 7 student thing require an older version of windows (ie, its an upgrade) or is it able to do clean installs? I think I used it for a clean install on my setup but I dont remember :/

You might have to do the double install trick.

I'd still try to fit 8gb of ram into the budget if you can. Photoshop along with some heavy multitasking can eat through most of my 4gb.

Yes, you can still get Win7 for $29.99 if you have a student email addy.
http://www.microsoft.com/student/en/us/windows/buynow/default.aspx

Skype+Portal 2+Photoshop took up 3GB for me.

The funny thing was, there wasn't even anything running in Photoshop. I would second the 8GB, just assume double the cost of whatever RAM's in there now when you run it by her :thup:.

Back