• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need to do something special to load Win 7 on a SSD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JonSimonzi

Right now, I have one drive, a WD 1tb Black, which has everything on it. It's set to IDE mode in bios, plugged into SATA port 1, and has 3 partitions on it. One for the OS, one for installs, and one for storage. Recently (today :D) I got the 30gb Vertex. I plugged it into SATA port 2, and went into Windows and loaded up CDI to see if it had the TRIM firmware and whatnot. It did, so figured it's all good. Shut down, plugged the SSD into SATA 1 and the WD into SATA 2, verified bios saw both drives, and turned SATA onto AHCI instead o IDE. Popped in my Win 7 cd with the intent to load Windows on the SSD, and just reformat the WD drive. But when I get to screen to choose which partiton to install Windows on, the SSD doesn't show up, only the 3 partitions on the WD drive. Is there something I need to do to get my SSD to show up as a disk able to choose to load Windows on?

Sounds like you've done everything right. The SSD should show up as an unallocated drive. You could try putting it to IDE and check if it recognizes it and then put it back to AHCI again to see what happens.

Tried that, still doesn't see. Tried unplugging the WD drive an just having the SSD, and it just says there are no drives able to load windows on.

Is there a certain driver I need to load while loading windows or something? Running out of ideas to try on my own. My BIOS is flashed to the latest in the Asus Update utility, so that shouldn't be a problem.

nope, no drivers.. Should work right out of the box. Did you go in to the bios and make sure the SSD is loaded up in the boot and storage device menu?

Yeah, I had already tried both those. I finally got it to work, didn't do anything different, I think it's just my CD of Win 7. I have one of the digital download versions, and I think my copy I burnt might be messing up. But all's good in SSD town now.

Back