• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need to establish problem with PC asap

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Time-Bandit

Hi all,

My desktop is having some issues unsure what the problem is.

I would normally power the PC off via shutdown in Windows but never flick the wall power off then just turn it on via case each day no problems.

It started to flick 'no signal' on my monitor when the computer itself had been shutdown.

Today I went to turn my machine on now its going the no signal thing then throwing static up on the screen.

I am unsure if the issue is my monitor/PSU/GPU.

Any help on how to troubleshoot this asap would be great.

Regards,

Bandit.

Check the cable between the computer and the monitor first. Do you have one to swap it out with or do you have another computer you can connect the cable and monitor to? Of course, check all connections before that even to make sure everything is seated well.

Does the hard drive LED activity light on the front of the computer case show normal activity like you would see as it is booting into Windows? If so, that would suggest something is wrong with the GPU, video cable or the monitor. If not, that would suggest a PSU, system drive or motherboard issue.

Do you have spare components or another computer you can swap things in and out with so that you can zero in on the issue using the process of elimination?

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Also, try re-seating your video card and make sure the power connectors to the card from the PSU are firmly seated if this card uses them.

Check the cable between the computer and the monitor first. Do you have one to swap it out with or do you have another computer you can connect the cable and monitor to? Of course, check all connections before that even to make sure everything is seated well.

Does the hard drive LED activity light on the front of the computer case show normal activity like you would see as it is booting into Windows? If so, that would suggest something is wrong with the GPU, video cable or the monitor. If not, that would suggest a PSU, system drive or motherboard issue.

Do you have spare components or another computer you can swap things in and out with so that you can zero in on the issue using the process of elimination?

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Also, try re-seating your video card and make sure the power connectors to the card from the PSU are firmly seated if this card uses them.

Thanks for the reply and suggestions.

Don't think its any of the computer itself I think it is either a cable or monitor issue.

I can get into the PC view team viewer no issues if I have the monitor plugged into the GPU or the motherboard. So I think the GPU is out of the question.

Looking to be the monitor or cable, with that being said I really think its the monitor since the issue continued when I plugged the HDMI into the motherboard but as mentioned could get into the PC via team viewer no problem. The cable being used between is the one that came with my old rx560 so its only a couple years old. That monitor is going on 12 years.

Yep, sounds more and more like the display is giving up the ghost.

Back