• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need to fill a 5 1/4 bay w/ something unique

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CPFitz14

I've got about $40 or so to spend on something unique for an empty 5.25 bay. I don't really want a rheo, LCDs are too expensive.

Looking for something that you don't see every day. Maybe a "novelty" drive, like a 4x CD Changer(already have). If its really cool/unique, don't worry about the $40, i'd like to see it anyways.

-CPFitz-

OP
C

CPFitz14

Well... unique... but maybe something thats remotely useful.;) Of course, I could always use my 5 1/4 floppies at school.:)

Just kidding. Even my school doesn't have them anymore.

-CPFitz-

gahdzila

I actually have a 5 1/4" floppy that I was thinking of doing some modding with, making it into something even remotely usefull :D

How about a DigiDoc, or something like this?

OH! I got it! how about one of those new crappy watercoolers that go in a drivebay? Very poor performance...but might be ok for cooling a northbridge or video card. They reviewed one here, on the front page, a week or two ago, I think.

edit: here it is! A little over your budget, though.

Last edited:

cf79

How about a little slot to hold your gun. Someone comes into your house while your playing Splinter Cell.. They come up behind you; You turn around and BANG!!! Right in the face..

Ok.. I got a little carried away. That Enermax UC-001TM2 HDD Cooler that was posted earlier looks good for twenty bucks.

If you truely wanted to get unique with that space, you could mod a horizontal loaded toaster in there. I'm just throwin' ideas out there.

LittlePiggie

why not a clear bayres filled with mountain dew that has a tap coming out the front?

put fish in a bayres? little guppies or something :p

make a lego rheostat!! whoo!!

Mod a car stereo for the 5 1/4 bay :)

sirtoby

I remember seeing some place that cut out your name (or a word of your choice) in a 5 1/4 face plate.. also hade some led or whatever it was behind it so that the word was lit up..

Total waste of money if you ask me, but if that's what you're looking for, I reckon it'd be some good wasted money.. :p

stool

For $40.00, I'll send you an autographed picture you can install. That would certainly be unique.

Hookem

For the man who has everything...If you look around you can find a 12volt cigarette lighter that mounts in one of your 5.25 inch bays:cool: Something like this might be a little more useful http://www.svc.com/5mufrpaw6usb.html Lian Li makes a T-4 temperature monitoring rack like the Enermax. Dont know how "unique" they are but useful they are...Forget MBM5 or Asus probe...Let compu-nurse give you the real deal...;)

srs

How about an actual cup holder? You can turn the urban legend into reality!!!

Jonny 2x4

I have a 20x2 VFD I would be willing to sell (no use for it). Just letting you know, not trying to make this the selling forum or anything :D

OP
C

CPFitz14

I haven't really seen anything thats caught my attention yet. Although, that 8 CD holder isn't too bad... not to mention its only $6.

-CPFitz-

Disco_Stu

I have a multifunction I/O panel just chillin under my desk that I would sell you real cheap, im never gonna use it. PM me if you're interested.

hell, if you begged a little, id probably jsut give it to you :p

gahdzila

You might get a better response if you PM a mod and ask him to move this to the Case Modding forum.

If your watercooled, you could build a reservoir in a bay. Put some UV reactive dye in your water and mount a small UV CCFL in the bay above or below it. Maybe even put some plastic fish in it or something :D

clash

I am putting a plasma ball in my top two 5 1/4 bays, soon as i get through insulating it really well. Digial cam is my next purchase...

Stiletto

modenaf1 said:
this will fill two empty drive bays. ducttape two 80mm fans in there. that would be unique

Thats what I'm doing in mine. Doesnt fit that great, but it got rid of extra fans and looks good to me.

eab

What I did was I took a OLD cdrom drive that the acuatal drive came out of the computer flipped a lid open and put the cd in. Well I guted it and put in a cdr spindle and put my cdrs in it. It can hold about 25 cds. Wasn't my idea orginaly, I coppied it from some one else. I can try to get pictures of it if you want....