• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need to get another webbrowser

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kevin_bouchard

Well basically I use Ie6 as I type and I like it, well i should say that i am used to it. Anyways, I want to setup my pc so that I can run two different webbrowsers so that I can run one with a proxy and one directly connected to the net. Not that hard to find, but my second browser also has to be able to disable all java, vbscripts and other non-secure items and no cookies option. I have tried Opera, works like a charm but doesnt give me the option to disable scripts, and thats a must. Normally I would just tighten the security around IE6 but there are some sites that I need access to that require cookies, and scripts to be enabled, so I have to leave my security settings at default. Does anyone know of a webbrowser that will do just this? Or if at all possible open up two IE6 windows and have different security settings for each(and proxy settings)?

Well thanks for any help in advance,

Kevin

OP
K

kevin_bouchard

Thanks I just downloaded it and it seems great. I realize now that I should have posted this request in the "Internet, Networking, and Security" but for some reason I couldnt see it at the time. Oh one last question i hear alot about Activex scripts, from what I understand they are not the same as Javascripts, are they? And if not do you know how I can disable them?

Thanks a bunch

Kevin

Penguin4x4

Are you my Daddy?
ctiveX is an outgrowth of two other Microsoft technologies called OLE (Object Linking and Embedding) and COM (Component Object Model). As a moniker, ActiveX can be very confusing because it applies to a whole set of COM-based technologies. Most people, however, think only of ActiveX controls, which represent a specific way of implementing ActiveX technologies. An ActiveX control can be automatically downloaded and executed by a Web browser. ActiveX is not a programming language, but rather a set of rules for how applications should share information. Programmers can develop ActiveX controls in a variety of languages, including C, C++, Visual Basic, and Java. An ActiveX control is similar to a Java applet. Unlike Java applets, however, ActiveX controls have full access to the Windows operating system.

:)

OP
K

kevin_bouchard

Thanks for that clearification on ActiveX Penguin4x4, now I'm sure I want to get a browser to disable it.

SpyderMatrix I tried neoplanet, looks cool but when it actually comes to security it wont work since it uses the same setting as IE6 (probably a shell).

Well thanks again for all the help
Still havent found anything that can do all this:

disable java (common)
disable scripts (not so common)
disable activex (rare to find)
disable cookies (very common)
and not being a IE shell (because I need to have 2 sets of security settings at the same time)

well keep them coming and I appreciate the effort from all you guys(and gals).

Kevin