• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need to lock a machine so it can only be a web browser

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ColdMiser

I need to secure a WinXP Pro machine so that it can only be a web browser for a specific user profile. That profile must not be able to launch any other programs besides a web browser, change any settings, or browse local files. Other profiles must have total access. If anyone knows how to do this or has a link to info on this please share. Time is of the essence.

Ask me questions if you need more specifics.

Can't you create an account, give it read-only privelages, and only install internet explorer/netscape on that account?

If you want to go all out, you can use a combonation of "Fortress Grand" and " Net Nanny". Those will completly lock down everything. But assuming the people that are using the computer have only basic to advanced skills, then I would just create a restricted account for them.

No, not as a display in a store, but the software they use for that would be perfect. I was in a Staples the other day and was able to navigate the Staples.com website, but no matter what I did I could not go to any other domain. It was not through internet explorer, but some other piece of software that let access be heavily restricted. I also could not leave that application no matter what. Pretty secure. I would guess that there is a certain key combination you have to press to exit the prog.

Very perceptive, though, Funk. The PC is going in a bank for the customers to use. (Don't ask me why, that's just what the client asked for.) They would like the customers to only have access to the internet, no other programs or local files. It would also be preferable to limit access to the bank's website domain. Anybody know what that software is that I saw at Staples?

Good idea. I think the best idea was the make a user profile and completely lock it out from everything but internet explorer. What exactly will the customers be doing with this computer? Just accessing the banks website? Good luck. I know Best Buy has a special program that requires a certain key combination. I'm not sure where they got it, but I'll ask em (I know a lot of people at Best Buy, I'm always there) and I'll let you know unless someone finds out first.

It was unclear if the customers would only be allowed to browse the bank's site ot other sites too. To be honest, I don't even know why they want to give the customers net access at all. I guess it would be an easy place for them to go and check their account over the net like you can with most banks these days.

Thanks for checking Doc. Let me know what you turn up.

yes and a easy root for a catstrophe!!! someone is bound to leave thereselves LOGGED IN!!!

i.e. joe bob leaves the computer and is still logged in he just got done depositing 50k i walk up notice that, transfer the 50k to my account and leave.. i just made 50k by being in the right place at the right time.

plus if enough time is given, you can ressurect the pw's from cache (or if they are saved) files, never explored this much but most winblows pw's are saved in .pwl files, which can be torn apart with ease.

Kaneda said:
yes and a easy root for a catstrophe!!! someone is bound to leave thereselves LOGGED IN!!!

i.e. joe bob leaves the computer and is still logged in he just got done depositing 50k i walk up notice that, transfer the 50k to my account and leave.. i just made 50k by being in the right place at the right time.

plus if enough time is given, you can ressurect the pw's from cache (or if they are saved) files, never explored this much but most winblows pw's are saved in .pwl files, which can be torn apart with ease.

Um...right. The point of that special piece of software is that you cannot access any othr part of the computer. As far as walking up and transferring money, it isn't that easy. That are safeguards for that too. The worst that might realistically happen is that someone sees another person's balance. No biggie.

Any luck yet, Doc?

Back