• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need to make sure what I am about to do is correct

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eaglepi

I currently have windosw 10 but having all kinds of different issues too many to even try to figure them out.

I decided I was going to go back to win 7 , in my list of the things in my system is says I use 1 drive for OS and then 3 others for data storage. Now that I am going back to Win 7 I bought a 480GB SSD, my plan is to unplug all drives except the new SSD and DVD drive then I will install my Win 7 OS once I get that done

QUESTION: After OS is installed I can hook up the storage drives and as I install all my software it will install to my C drive which will be the new SSD. Is the way I am about to do this fresh install of Win 7 on a new SSD correct? then I can connect the other drives and as I install my software by default it all installs to my C drive which will be my new SSD. Does this plan sound correct??

Yes having only the new SSD installed will ensure it is the primary drive with the default program directory.

Side note: I'd consider doing a clean install of Windows 10 first prior to rolling back IMHO. If your system in the spec is your windows 10 system, it should have no issues hardware wise that I'm aware of. (What's the short version of the issues you're actually having?)

Installing a fresh windows 10 on an SSD will also help, if you currently are running on the single 1TB, that'll be a fairly large bottleneck as is.

Yes having only the new SSD installed will ensure it is the primary drive with the default program directory.

Side note: I'd consider doing a clean install of Windows 10 first prior to rolling back IMHO. If your system in the spec is your windows 10 system, it should have no issues hardware wise that I'm aware of. (What's the short version of the issues you're actually having?)

Installing a fresh windows 10 on an SSD will also help, if you currently are running on the single 1TB, that'll be a fairly large bottleneck as is.

I'd do that if I owned a version of Win 10 I took the free upgrade from 7 to 10. I would like to do that so maybe I should just spend a bit more money and buy a copy of Win 10 ??????

If you have done the free upgrade, the windows 10 key is now tied to your motherboard anyway. A fresh install of windows 10 using your Windows 7 key should allow you to activate without any problems.

You'd just need to source a windows 10 ISO relative to your version of windows (Home, Pro)

If you have done the free upgrade, the windows 10 key is now tied to your motherboard anyway. A fresh install of windows 10 using your Windows 7 key should allow you to activate without any problems.

You'd just need to source a windows 10 ISO relative to your version of windows (Home, Pro)

Not sure I understand what you mean You'd just need to source a windows 10 ISO relative to your version of windows by ""

I have a file that brings me to this site,
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I just don't see how I can do a fresh install of Windows 10, I tried it and got all screwed up and got support from Microsoft support and they remotely accessed my computer and did a bunch of thing and I was let with windows 10 again, I say again is after I upgraded I decided to go back to 7.

I know there is a way to do a fresh install but I don't understand how so I'd rather buy a copy and have the disk and key number.

My 7 key didn't work for the fresh install of 10 when I tried and that is why Microsoft got involved. Only way I would consider doing a fresh install of 10 is with a new one that I buy

Find another computer with the same version of Windows 10 you have. Use the "media creation tool" to create either a USB or a DVD installer. Take it home and install Windows 10 on your computer. Once installed it will automatically activate since Windows 10 has been on the machine already.

Find another computer with the same version of Windows 10 you have. Use the "media creation tool" to create either a USB or a DVD installer. Take it home and install Windows 10 on your computer. Once installed it will automatically activate since Windows 10 has been on the machine already.

Thank you very much for trying to help me get a fresh install without spending any more money.

Stress sucks so I would rather pay $200 to buy my own disk with key so I will have it and not have to worry about finding another computer with the same stuff on it etc. I appreciate your help but you have much more patience than I do.

Actually, now that I think about it I don't believe the computer you use to create the installer must have the same version of Windows 10 you will need to install. I think it is a universal installer.

Actually, now that I think about it I don't believe the computer you use to create the installer must have the same version of Windows 10 you will need to install. I think it is a universal installer.
Correct.

Well I've got about 15 replies and 13 are different sound right for s forum ..... good thing I have both so I can do both.

Well I've got about 15 replies and 13 are different sound right for s forum ..... good thing I have both so I can do both.

What are your different replies? Since you've upgraded to windows 10 you have an activation that is tied to your hardware. You can pull your key with Advance Token Manager. Download the usb (or dvd) version of windows 10, perform a clean install and it will activate without issue.

You don't need to reinstall windows 7 unless you want to stay with windows 7. The media is free, it's the activation that you pay for now a days. I've only done this process a couple hundred times, I'm sure it'll work for you.

What are your different replies? Since you've upgraded to windows 10 you have an activation that is tied to your hardware. You can pull your key with Advance Token Manager. Download the usb (or dvd) version of windows 10, perform a clean install and it will activate without issue.

You don't need to reinstall windows 7 unless you want to stay with windows 7. The media is free, it's the activation that you pay for now a days. I've only done this process a couple hundred times, I'm sure it'll work for you.

I ordered windows 10 pro on a USB drive from Microsoft ON Friday, I know $200 I didn't have to spend, the good thing is we all have a chose if we want to spend our money. I'm not disrespecting this forum I respect it very much but so many opinions that differ.

I own Windows 7 Ultimate 32 & 64 Bit from Microsoft and now I own a new copy of Windows 10 Pro from Microsoft and a 2nd copy of Windows 10 that I can get the way you explained. I appreciate all the help but I think I have all I need for now.

I don't want to start a win7 vs Win 10 because I made up my mind to go with Windows 10.

Thanks to everyone's different views that helped me figure out what is best for me to do.
Thanks again

I ordered windows 10 pro on a USB drive from Microsoft ON Friday, I know $200 I didn't have to spend, the good thing is we all have a chose if we want to spend our money. I'm not disrespecting this forum I respect it very much but so many opinions that differ.

I own Windows 7 Ultimate 32 & 64 Bit from Microsoft and now I own a new copy of Windows 10 Pro from Microsoft and a 2nd copy of Windows 10 that I can get the way you explained. I appreciate all the help but I think I have all I need for now.

I don't want to start a win7 vs Win 10 because I made up my mind to go with Windows 10.

Thanks to everyone's different views that helped me figure out what is best for me to do.
Thanks again

As long as you're happy that's what matters. The great thing about life is that it's full of choices. I've been a tech for 16 years off and on and I see people who are happy to repurchase an OS or other piece of software even if they don't need to, that's totally their choice.

SMH.. all forums will have different opinions...it's the nature of the beast.

If you want the best help, PAY for tech support instead of bashing forum goers helping you out free in their spare time...

You don't actually need Windows 10 install media to to a reinstall Windows 10. Under Setting > Update & security there is an option to Reset PC. This will reinstall Windows 10, and you can choose to keep files and settings or to do a clean install.

Back