• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need to replace motherboard to add SLI support

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WillJitsu

My brother is going to be upgrading his video card soon, so I am going to get his nVidia 8800 GT 512 MB. I already have that exact same card, so I would like to run them in SLI. Unfortunately, my current motherboard does not support this. Can you let me know what is the best motherboard I can get to replace mine based on the specs in my signature?

Thanks!

OP
WillJitsu

WillJitsu

Bump.

Are there any other resources I can check to find a good motherboard if ya'll don't have any exact suggestions? Thanks!

OP
WillJitsu

WillJitsu

Ok, for the 780i chipset, it looks like these motherboards are certified for SLI:

ASUS P5N-T Deluxe
EVGA nForce 780i SLI
MSI P7N Diamond
XFX nForce 780i SLI

Anyone have personal experience with any of these?

Last edited:
OP
WillJitsu

WillJitsu

I think I am going to go with the EVGA. I noticed that in the description of the motherboard it says "Extreme DDR2 speeds with support for up to 1200MHz SLI-Ready memory". Does it require special memory to be able to run video cards in SLI? My current RAM is only 800MHz (PC-6400).

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
HOnestly, I would sell both 8800gt's and get a single better card on your P35 chipset (GTX275?). Paying that much money for a board to get incosistent performance boosts just doesnt jive with my wallet.

I would be a tad concerned with the PSU only having 38A. Since its a good brand PSU, it will work, but there wont be a tremendous amount of headroom left on that thing.

OP
WillJitsu

WillJitsu

HOnestly, I would sell both 8800gt's and get a single better card on your P35 chipset (GTX275?). Paying that much money for a board to get incosistent performance boosts just doesnt jive with my wallet.

Do you think it'd be smarter to keep my current setup and buy the ATI Radeon 5770?

I found the motherboard for $99 recertified and the video card looks like it costs about $180.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
You can get the 5770 for $165 shipped here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...d&bop=And&ActiveSearchResult=True&Order=PRICE

I would rather have that personally, and then make up the cost with your 8800gt for sale ($60 or so if sold here for example)

Its honestly a tough call. As you can tell, Im not a proponent of SLi/Crossfire. The 780i chipset can get your same clocks, but then again sometimes SLI scaling is non existent or not that great (note most of the time it works just fine).