• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need to replace my PSP - what to get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rich'[ard]

hey guys,
i lent my PSP 2000 to my friend and he drowned it and apparently it doens't work anymore.
he told me he's going to pay for a new one...so..
what to get? :santa:

each PSP since the 2000 has its own negatives.
i loved my PSP 2000 because of it's ability to use Custom firmware.
the PSP 3000 can as well, but currently there's no way to fully flash the PSP. you can only temporarily do it..which is fairly annoying
and i'm not too fond of the PSP Go unless i'm missing something.
my other option is to get another 2nd hand PSP 2000 and flash it again.

what you reckon?

If custom firmware's what you're looking for, I know this isn't necessarily meant for gaming whatsoever, but get an iPod touch. Jailbreak it, you can put literally whatever you want on it, i.e. emulators (I saw my friend playing Pokemon Crystal on his last week), and Flash games, etc. Oh, and apps. Although it isn't really as serious as a PSP or even a DS, to tell you the truth, I'd take my iPhone over either of those. The Touch is the exact same as the iphone in terms of gaming capabilities and the customization is incredible. If you're not a serious handheld gamer, that'd be my first choice.

If custom firmware's what you're looking for, I know this isn't necessarily meant for gaming whatsoever, but get an iPod touch. Jailbreak it, you can put literally whatever you want on it, i.e. emulators (I saw my friend playing Pokemon Crystal on his last week), and Flash games, etc. Oh, and apps. Although it isn't really as serious as a PSP or even a DS, to tell you the truth, I'd take my iPhone over either of those. The Touch is the exact same as the iphone in terms of gaming capabilities and the customization is incredible. If you're not a serious handheld gamer, that'd be my first choice.
haha, i kind of miss my PSP though, cos i had quite a few games i bought for it. i don't really like anything made by Apple..it's just one of those things i HATE for no reason :shrug:

i'd like to try one of the coloured PSPs though. they look pretty damn cool :p

Yeah, go for it then. I didn't know if you were a serious handheld gamer or just liked playing little time-wasters like are on the App Store. But if you've already made a big PSP investment in terms of games, etc. then totally go for a new one.

mm yeah, maybe i'll just get money off him so i can decide which PSP to get.
i really loved the PSP 2000 because it didn't have any custom firmware restriction, but Sony made the PSP 3000 so nobody could hack it. :bang head:
the PSP Go is a completely different format so none of my UMDs will work, so i guess it's between the 2000 and 3000 now.

:shrug:

Go for the 2000, then.
My friend has the Go, it's absolutely horrible. IMO, just go for another 2000.

Umm... Right.

He could get a laptop, too. Or... better yet: A Swedish Girlfriend...

...since we're not actually trying to answer the question he asked.

hey guys,
i lent my PSP 2000 to my friend and he drowned it and apparently it doens't work anymore.
he told me he's going to pay for a new one...so..
what to get? :santa:

each PSP since the 2000 has its own negatives.
i loved my PSP 2000 because of it's ability to use Custom firmware.
the PSP 3000 can as well, but currently there's no way to fully flash the PSP. you can only temporarily do it..which is fairly annoying
and i'm not too fond of the PSP Go unless i'm missing something.
my other option is to get another 2nd hand PSP 2000 and flash it again.

what you reckon?

Either get another PSP 2000 or get a PSP 1000.

I like the PSP 1000 because it's sturdier and it has infrared.

The PSP 2000 has TV-Out and more memory so you can run things like Skype.

Plus with the PSP 1000 you can run all the old 1.50 firmwares (depending on which firmware you decide to run.)

There's really no other option.

The PSP-3000 is garbage. (Can't be modded and they switched from progressive scan to interlaced... which is STUPID.) And the PSP-Go is worthless. (even though the 16 gigs of internal memory would be nice... if you could mod it... which you can't.)

ey rainless, thanks.
yeah guess the PSP-3000 isn't really worth it. my little bro has one and he's got the Chick-hen custom firmware on it. it's annoying because it only temporarily 'hacks' the PSP into that mode and goes back to non custom firmware every time you turn it off.

i think i'll stick with another PSp 2000 - i don't really like the size of the PSP 1000...it's a bit...could i use the word fat? :p

he said he's going to find me one on Ebay...but i'm not liking that idea much. i don't want somebody's scratched, dinted PSP.
another choice is i could just get money off him to buy whatever i like.

ey rainless, thanks.
yeah guess the PSP-3000 isn't really worth it. my little bro has one and he's got the Chick-hen custom firmware on it. it's annoying because it only temporarily 'hacks' the PSP into that mode and goes back to non custom firmware every time you turn it off.

i think i'll stick with another PSp 2000 - i don't really like the size of the PSP 1000...it's a bit...could i use the word fat? :p

he said he's going to find me one on Ebay...but i'm not liking that idea much. i don't want somebody's scratched, dinted PSP.
another choice is i could just get money off him to buy whatever i like.

Just get one from Craigslist... or even Gamestop.

Then you could at least SEE the thing before you buy it.

With the PSPgo out there should be TONS of used ones.

Also BE CAREFUL!

Not all PSP2000s are hackable!

The later model PSP2000s have the exact same motherboard as the 3000s.

Forewarned is Forearmed...

yeah i read about the motherboards. i'm gonna have to find one where i can inspect it first.
i forgot how you check though. would you know off the top of your head by any chance? i will google if i must lol :chair:

i live in Australia, so i guess i can visit EB Games and other electronics shops i got around here, thanks man :thup:

You pretty much answered your own question.......stick to a PSP and preferably, a PSP2000. I used to have a 1st gen (I didn't care about flashing it or anything else) and I have to admit that it was a fun system. I am not a fan of the iPhone and can't stand Nintendo so for me, it would be a easy choice. As someone else mentioned though, I wouldn't get the PSP Go though. It's a handheld that in my eyes, shouldn't have seen the light of day. Similar to how Windows ME shouldn't have either.

You pretty much answered your own question.......stick to a PSP and preferably, a PSP2000. I used to have a 1st gen (I didn't care about flashing it or anything else) and I have to admit that it was a fun system. I am not a fan of the iPhone and can't stand Nintendo so for me, it would be a easy choice. As someone else mentioned though, I wouldn't get the PSP Go though. It's a handheld that in my eyes, shouldn't have seen the light of day. Similar to how Windows ME shouldn't have either.
yeah just wanted some insight on what other ppl thought. guess i kinda already had an answer :p

i think i'll just stick to a PSP 2000. i prefer it over the 1000 because of the slim design, and the 3000 and PSP Go just don't do it for me. i'd get the 3000 anyday if it was as accessible as the 2000 in custom firmware ability. it's got a nicer screen.

OPEN PANDORA OWNED.........

I just sold my PSP2000 with an 8GB and 2GB memsitck duo and Star Trek: Tactical Assault for $150.

Honestly, I don't miss it. I'm not much of a handheld gamer and most of the games I played on it were terrible. They looked alright, but the screen was too small and the little thumb pad thing was miserable. Just try to aim accurately on the GTA games. It makes a really nice MP3 and video player though it is a bit bulky for that with the D-pad and buttons sticking out on the sides.

I just sold my PSP2000 with an 8GB and 2GB memsitck duo and Star Trek: Tactical Assault for $150.

Honestly, I don't miss it. I'm not much of a handheld gamer and most of the games I played on it were terrible. They looked alright, but the screen was too small and the little thumb pad thing was miserable. Just try to aim accurately on the GTA games. It makes a really nice MP3 and video player though it is a bit bulky for that with the D-pad and buttons sticking out on the sides.

That's why they invented the PSPGo (and to skirt the hackers of course...)

YOUR only problem was you were playing GTA wrong and your only other game was Star Trek: Tactical Assault. :p

I'm playig Dissidia Final Fantasy and... though it's pretty weird... it's still a very interesting game.

They've got a Phantasy Star Portable. God of War was good... even the new Assasin's Creed Bloodlines is good.

The Tekken games have always been good on PSP (Tekken 6 is no exception).

All-in-all they've got...and have maintained... a pretty decent library.

Add to that the fact that you can play ALL the PS1 games and you really can't make an argument that they don't have games stick. (Though... as far as the screen and thumbstick go... you're a MUCH bigger guy than I am. You probably would've been happier with the PSP1000.)

I had Tekken 6 and it was alright. God of War was good too. I rented a few that were good. Don't get me wrong, there are good games but holding it in your hands and using that thumb pad was just miserable. How exactly do you play GTA wrong?

yeah just wanted some insight on what other ppl thought. guess i kinda already had an answer :p

i think i'll just stick to a PSP 2000. i prefer it over the 1000 because of the slim design, and the 3000 and PSP Go just don't do it for me. i'd get the 3000 anyday if it was as accessible as the 2000 in custom firmware ability. it's got a nicer screen.

Exactly. For people who are into custom firmware scene, then I would say the 2000 is the best choice. I think the PSP Go looks cool and all but Sony really screwed the gamers over by saying that they would create some way to bring over UMD games that a gamer bought to the new system, and then some time later tells them that there is "no way to do that" and that there is nothing that they can do. Sorry, but that type of "customer service" really puts a damper on me purchasing anything from Sony again.

Either way, I think it would be a safe choice to get a 2000 again.

Good luck!

Back