• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need to replace my PSP - what to get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
PSP-2000 had issues with CFW (Unless DarkAlex corrected them) and a few other minor issues such as not being as sturdy and so forth.

From what I heard the PSP-3000 has an interlacing/ghosting issue with the LCD panel installed in it and Sony's reply was "Fugya"

As for the PSP Go - I dunno, it cant be hacked because the battery isn't removable and it looks like junk.

I bought a PSP-1000 when it first came out and only found "Hacking" it to be enjoyable, in my experience Sony products are the most poorly produced, content lacking devices with ZERO Quality Control.

No I'm not a fanboy, just posting my experiences with Sony - I hate Nintendo just as much.

PSP-2000 had issues with CFW (Unless DarkAlex corrected them) and a few other minor issues such as not being as sturdy and so forth.

From what I heard the PSP-3000 has an interlacing/ghosting issue with the LCD panel installed in it and Sony's reply was "Fugya"

As for the PSP Go - I dunno, it cant be hacked because the battery isn't removable and it looks like junk.

I bought a PSP-1000 when it first came out and only found "Hacking" it to be enjoyable, in my experience Sony products are the most poorly produced, content lacking devices with ZERO Quality Control.

No I'm not a fanboy, just posting my experiences with Sony - I hate Nintendo just as much.

I don't think Nintendo or Sony produce poor products... I mean the Wii... like it or not... has the lowest failure rate out of all the consoles. And the PS3 isn't too far behind it. Hell... I've never even HEARD of a DS or PSP failing... Dead pixels maybe... couple cracked hinges on the DS... sure. But I never heard of one failing.

And no content? Does that include Dissidia Final Fantasy, God of War Chains of Olympus, the three GTA games, and backwards compatibility with all PS1 games?

Then on the DS side you've got every RPG ever made reinvented on the system, as well as GBA backwards compatibility, and a host of classic games.

I don't think Nintendo or Sony produce poor products... I mean the Wii... like it or not... has the lowest failure rate out of all the consoles. And the PS3 isn't too far behind it. Hell... I've never even HEARD of a DS or PSP failing... Dead pixels maybe... couple cracked hinges on the DS... sure. But I never heard of one failing.

And no content? Does that include Dissidia Final Fantasy, God of War Chains of Olympus, the three GTA games, and backwards compatibility with all PS1 games?

Then on the DS side you've got every RPG ever made reinvented on the system, as well as GBA backwards compatibility, and a host of classic games.

-I loved the GTA Games

-I hate Anime/Japanese developed games so FF is something I always write off (To each his own)

-It does not have backwards compatbility with ALL PS1 games - it was entirely dependent on who made a port for it (I only played Warcraft2 and Diablo 1 on it - still fun)

As far as Nintendo goes, they make some of the sturdiest and highest quality products I've ever seen - the only problem is that this is their game lineup:
-Mario
-Mario
-Zelda
-Zelda redub
-Mario redub
-Zelda (On the beach edition)
-Mario (Dunkin Donuts Employee edition)
-Zelda (Left the beach finally, now to go save the princess)
-Mario (Now an Italian plumber working for a Polish electrician firm)
-Zelda (Saved the princess, now its time to lose her edition)
-Metroid Prime (Suit 'n' guns edition)
-Mario (Again)
-So on and so forth

IMO I believe Nintendo>Sony - as far as you never "hearing of any defects" with the PSP heres a few highlights:

1.) Dead Pixels (Pretty much fixed after the first hundred thousand units sold)
2.) The acrylic screen cover would scratch and eventually crack (Mine did and I kept it in a protective case at all times)
3.) The analog stick would eventually get stuck and break
4.) UMD Drive failure and read/write errors

I dunno I think the only good portables of the times were the big-*** brick gameboys from 1990 *sigh*

whoa...haven't visited this thread in a while...man i need to keep up to date :(

i have good news. my friend (who drowned my PSP) has found me a 2nd hand PSP-2000 that hopefully can be loaded to custom firmware. first we looked online for all the hints as to which 2000s were hackable/unhackable, then i sent him to find me one :p

i haven't collected it from him yet, but the battery is a 7C. which is slightly older than my original PSP - 7D. so hopefully it can hack.

Meh if not you can buy a "Pandora Kit" offline :)
i was googling and PSP 2000s with a battery later than 8D (from my memory) were too new and can't be hacked.
this is helpful when you buy 2nd hand PSP-2000s because there's a high chance the previous user woudl've updated the official firmware, therefore unable to tell how new the PSP is; 2000s with stock firmware higher than 4.00 can't be loaded with custom firmware, because they use the same motherboards as the PSP 3000s?
it goes something like that :thup:

whoa...haven't visited this thread in a while...man i need to keep up to date :(

i have good news. my friend (who drowned my PSP) has found me a 2nd hand PSP-2000 that hopefully can be loaded to custom firmware. first we looked online for all the hints as to which 2000s were hackable/unhackable, then i sent him to find me one :p

i haven't collected it from him yet, but the battery is a 7C. which is slightly older than my original PSP - 7D. so hopefully it can hack.

Keep us posted.

I find all these "My friend screwed up my sh**" posts puzzling...

I never let any of my friends anywhere NEAR my stuff. But HERE there's all these "I let my friend borrow my STEAM account" and "My friend broke my PSP" and "My friend borrowed my ATM pin code and now the Bolivian Resistance is after me..." threads. :shrug:

Keep us posted.

I find all these "My friend screwed up my sh**" posts puzzling...

I never let any of my friends anywhere NEAR my stuff. But HERE there's all these "I let my friend borrow my STEAM account" and "My friend broke my PSP" and "My friend borrowed my ATM pin code and now the Bolivian Resistance is after me..." threads. :shrug:
haha, well...it's not like i was going to reject him =p
he's a close friend, but i never woudl've though he'd be so careless to destroy my PSP.
he left it on the window sill and it rained...WTF?!
his iPod touch was wet too...but it has no buttons...so all he had to do was wipe his screen clean.

you're probably not interested in the whole story, but current status is...my other friend (who has the service battery) has can't find the battery! :bang head:
so now i don't know how to hack it...and i don't want to open up my normal battery and short some pins or what not - too confusing for me haha.
so i have to wait until my friend gets his 'computer guy' to put the cfw on it...argh
i don't even trust that computer guy either...but argh, wth

haha, well...it's not like i was going to reject him =p
he's a close friend, but i never woudl've though he'd be so careless to destroy my PSP.
he left it on the window sill and it rained...WTF?!
his iPod touch was wet too...but it has no buttons...so all he had to do was wipe his screen clean.

you're probably not interested in the whole story, but current status is...my other friend (who has the service battery) has can't find the battery! :bang head:
so now i don't know how to hack it...and i don't want to open up my normal battery and short some pins or what not - too confusing for me haha.
so i have to wait until my friend gets his 'computer guy' to put the cfw on it...argh
i don't even trust that computer guy either...but argh, wth

All you need is the battery for a psp1000 which you should be able to get dirt cheap.

All you need is the battery for a psp1000 which you should be able to get dirt cheap.
hmm, yeah i could find one of those.
do you still need to mod the battery to enable the Service mode on the PSP?
i think i'll just research about modding the PSP again...instead of asking bit by bit here. i totally forgot how it goes lol.

hmm, yeah i could find one of those.
do you still need to mod the battery to enable the Service mode on the PSP?
i think i'll just research about modding the PSP again...instead of asking bit by bit here. i totally forgot how it goes lol.

No you don't have to mod a psp 1000 battery. (A good many people have screwed up their psp batteries that way.) All you have to do is run a program to switch it to a service battery and another to switch it back.

No you don't have to mod a psp 1000 battery. (A good many people have screwed up their psp batteries that way.) All you have to do is run a program to switch it to a service battery and another to switch it back.

Wow - I wish I knew that back in 2008 lol

whoa...google here i come. now i just gotta find myself a psp1000 battery.
thanks rainless.

Back