• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need to upgrade to Kernel 2.6.x ....how does the noob do it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadSkillzMan

hey guys. Im currently running Topologilinux 4.0...well slowly getting there...its based off of slackware 9.1. This odd versio tho requires NO partitions and runs on my existing NTFS partition alongside windows. It comes with a 2.4 kernel and has the 2.1.4C kernel patch (i think that version is right) and it only allowes readability in NTFS. Writting to it is still dangerous.

Now i know people upgrade the kernels. I was told that the 2.5 kernel has this issue resoled. The people over helping me with gentoo pointed this out. Im still a newbie but id like to get rid of that title. How do i go about upgrading my kernel? i figured here would be a good place to ask since many how to's and instructions DONT WORK.

THanks in advance guys.

kaltag

Well the 2.6 kernel still does not allow full write ability of NTFS partitions. If that's what you need look at captive NTFS. Their official sites seems to be down for me but it is available from www.freshmeat.org. It allow full read/write ability of NTFS although writing is still rather slow. It uses the windows NTFS driver and uses parts of WINE in conjunction to work correctly. The install was quite easy for me as well. 1 command If I remember correctly. Also you do not want to use the 2.5 kernel series. Those are the test versions between the stable releases 2.4 and 2.6. Use 2.6 if you're going to upgrade. As for actually configuring the kernel that depends on what hardware you're using. start by downloading the source from http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/ and download linux-2.6.7.tar.gz . Then move it to the /usr/src directory and extract it like so.

tar -zxvf linux-2.6.7.tar.gz

that should create a directory called linux-2.6.7. Enter that directory and type

make menuconfig

as the root user and then you'll have to know the hardware you're using after that. When you're done exit the configuration and tell it ti save when it asks you. Then type

make && make modules_install

That will build the kernel and any modules. then copy the kernel to the /boot directory like so

cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage

Then delete the simlink in the /usr/src directory that points to the old kernel source like so

rm linux

Then make a new one that points to the new source like so

ln -sf /usr/src/linux-2.6.7 linux

Then modify your lilo.conf file where it says image=/boot/vmlinuz change it to image=/boot/bzImage. Save and quit then run

/sbin/lilo

Then reboot and so long as you got all the hardware right it should boot correctly. Ask if you need more assistance.

Last edited:

klingens

The only thing you need to change from 2.4 to 2.6 is module-init-tools instead of the old modutils for kernel modules. apart from that a 2.6 kernel is a drop in replacement.

But as kaltag said, you still won't get ntfs write support with 2.6. And captive-ntfs is ok, but doesn't work really well. I'd say it's still alpha software, so use it at your own risk for writing to NTFS partitions.I had it crash (no data loss tho) regularly when I loaded it to delete my \windows directory so I could reinstall without formatting the partition