• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need video card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wicked Klown

Hard *** Southern Boy Senior
Ok my father wants me to upgrade his computer. So far I've pick a 1.8 Cerleon, either a ECS P4S5ADX or the ECS P4VMM2 the case will be custom done. Now the problme I have is pickin the video card. I want something cheap but still be good. He don't game as of now but next year he retires and will be on the computer more. Doesn't matter if it's ATI, Nvidia or what not. It just has to be trouble free cause he knows very little bout computers.

BaldHeadedDork

If it has to be trouble free, I'd first drop the SiS and Via motherboards for an Intel 845E, either the Asus P4B533, Abit BD7II, or Gigabyte GA-8IEXP.

Without knowing his monitor size, what resolution he likes to run and what kind of games he might be interested in, this is a shot in the dark. But I'll go ahead and recommend the ATI Radeon 8500 or any of the nVidia GF4 Ti4200 cards.

BHD

OP
Wicked Klown

Wicked Klown

Hard *** Southern Boy Senior
17" monitor 1024x768 as for the game only game he has ever played is Deer Hunter. Also he will not be ocing and whats wrong with VIA.

BaldHeadedDork

Motherboards with Via chipsets have notably higher failure/defect rates than boards with Intel chipsets. If I'm building a system for somone who doesn't know jack about computers and just wants it to work, I'm using a board with an Intel chipset.

For the kind of gaming you're talking about, you could really get away with a TNT2 Ultra. That will handle Deer Hunter, plus stuff like golf and strategy games, at 1024x768 with ease.

BHD

funnyperson1

Via is better than it used to be, but when you have the choice of getting intel (easily the best chipset maker) then why wouldnt you? SiS isnt bad either....and also the Via chipsets are not officialy sanctioned by intel, so who knows how it will work in the future....

intel chipsets just work....but the performance isnt as good as SiS....but then again i dont think your dad will notice the difference between DDR 266 and 333 lol....

and yes, go for an 8500 or 9000Pro....around 80 bucks with great IQ....or get an old Matro G550 for like 40 bucks, great 2D quality and great drivers.....not much gaming capbility though