• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Window Ideas

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xevuhtess7

i want to make a really fancy looking window, not just a plain big boring square or other polygons. any suggestions for images? i was thinking of putting a symbol that looks like those fire hazard symbols... another one of my ideas was to put a small bmw logo in the corner and then have a detailed image of the m3 (my dream car, yes, im still 15 years old and saving money to build my first comp). one of the last ideas i thought of was mabye a character from starcraft (protoss zealot would be cool looking). any and all suggestions welcome.

Remember you gotta cut this out, drawing an M3, or a warcraft character could be tough, unless you have one of those water cutters at your disposal.

If you want something cool, you could make a big window and get stickers printed like big ones (with clear background). Theres a guy on the forums here (cant remember his name) who has a big hookups sticker on the side of his case that looks wicked, if you had like a vector art image of your m3 and got it printed you could stick it on and illuminate it nicely with some cathodes.

yeah..... i was out at dinner and i thought about it. i was thinking i could cut the bmw logo in the corner, then put "m power" next to it, and under it have the m3. also, i want to try my turn at advanced dremeling, i think i can do it (im known to be artistic :)). it will take some creative thinking to be able to come up with a design for the actual m3 car, but i think i can do it.

subconcept said:
Theres a guy on the forums here (cant remember his name) who has a big hookups sticker on the side of his case that looks wicked...

I know the guy (not personally) youre talking about, his name is Fujikuro. :)

i just got a really good idea. i could cut the bmw logo on the door of the front, and use led's to backlight that. on the side panel i could have the image of the m3, and have "m power" written sideways up the side or sumtin. if i were to do the bmw logo on the door, is there any way to tint the plexi? i dont want my drives to show thogh the plexi.

EDIT: im planning this mod for an antec1040/chenming/chieftec case.

I'm working on a dragonlance scene for one side of my case, etched into the plexi. I etch it about..Ohhh... 1mm deep or so and fill it with UV paint. I have a few UV cathodes in my case in various locations that light it up nicely. Once Im done with this I'll post some pics. I did something simular a few months ago to my CDRW window mod. My avatar is the etching in the window on top of the cdrw. Only prob is if you let it get to hot *etching blade* it will melt right through it. Thats why I just do about 2 square inches a night.

holy crappers that looks sweet *** dude.... except im going for an unusual shaped window, not just a square window with a cool etching. i must say though, im extremely impressed with that, nice work man!

oh dang.... i just thought again about my bmw m3 mod...... the latch handle thingy on the side panel of the antec/chieftec/chenmings will be in the way.... are there any cases that are the exact same thing but without the latch? or ill just have to get creative in order to avoid that little section.

Its artwork inspired by DL. I havn't read the books in so long I can't give a good example, but it's basically a dragon soldier thing kneeling next to a castle window. I can't remember what their called.
I have an excellent supply of lexan to work with, but thanks for the offer.
I just need to order a larger variety of UV paint. I think I'll do that now :)

Ohhh, and If I can get permission from the artist who sketched it, I will post a linkage.

ziggey, did you use serveral different colors of UV paint on that dragon pic? i was thinking mabye i could just have a flat piece of plexi behind just a circle for the bmw logo. mabye i could etch it and uv paint it so it turns blue?

I used blue, green, and white purchased from clearneon.
It takes about 2-3 good coats to give it a nice glow.
It goes on clear, so if your going to use blue, you would need a UV light source.
The good thing about etching and UV paint is it glows very bright as opposed to just painting some plexi with UV paint.
I suppose it has something to do with the rough grooves made by the etching blade.

so if i use uv paint for my bmw logo, it wont show up when my comp/uv light is off? wouldn't the etching show up though?

Yes. It will look very simular to those fake etched apliques people stick onto their windows.
I was stating you would't be able to see the blue without a UV light, as Im sure you already know :)

that would be sweet looking.... it would be a whitish etch look when my comp is off.... then when i turn it on, the bmw logo lights up..... sweetness..... its like a real car! i hsould put like an artificial muffler.... hahahah that'd be funny.

Lets see if I can give some sort of examples. I posted the cdrw earlier today, but here it is again with my PSU. I'm paying for the bandwith, might as well use it. If you make thicker designs, Im sure the effects will be noticebly brighter.

PSU:

pus.jpg

PSU UV light on:

UV%20PSU.jpg

CDRW: (old version with UV LED that didn't light the UV paint up like I wanted it to. But you can see the etching plain as day)

Picture_0119a.jpg

And finally dragon etching with a UV cathode:

Picture_0153a.jpg

holy crap that looks sweet on the psu. i wanted to mod my psu but i dont wanna break my 5 year warrantee from pcpower cooling, considering i paid so much for it...

Back