• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need your opinion, Involves a Pentuim 2...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Angry

What do you guys think would be the best video card possible for a system of the following:

Pentuim 2 400mhz (100mhz FSB)
440BX Gateway mainboard
AGP 2x SLot
384meg of Ram (PC133)

Just wondering Laterz.....

M00CH

well im not sure if there the best but i would run a tnt based card.
when i had a older pent2 system this is what i had and it worked fine. but no that video cards have droped in price i say go for a geforce or a radron based card

palee72

My GF2-GTS worked well in my K-6/II 350mhz well.. no complaints.. I'd also look for a voodoo2 or 3 for it..

My own opinion may not be the most popular, but they are mine to have.. :)

james.miller

...and totally valid.
i said gf2 mx not because i had one, but because i believe it will squeese the most performance out of that pII-400 without spending too much £££.(as it performses better than any voodo 2 or 3). a gf2 gts would be better, but that deppends on how much it costs

OP
Angry

Angry

Hmmmm..okay lets add this into the equation..

Budget is around $150, and would be used in a system that will be built at around christmas, an AMD based sys.

james.miller

$150?

if its going in a amd based system that will be built soon, then gf3-ti500 or gf4-ti4200.

id choose gf4-ti4200, but it all depends on how good the system is prior to adding the graphics card.

what chip,motherboard and ram do you plan to use for the amd system?

Monaco

always get the fastest card you can afford. Even if it's starved for bandwidth due to your relatively slow system, it will still perform better than a slower card in all cases due to new technologies, newer DX, better drivers, etc. Plus, you can always upgrade your system later.

OP
Angry

Angry

Monster of Rock said:
always get the fastest card you can afford. Even if it's starved for bandwidth due to your relatively slow system, it will still perform better than a slower card in all cases due to new technologies, newer DX, better drivers, etc. Plus, you can always upgrade your system later.

Sounds liek a plan to me...

Its will just be a LAN SDRAM based AMD rig.nothing big...so thats why its going to be a LAN rig...

Rakk

I'd agree - go for the fastest that you can afford. That said, the cheapest best value card would probably be something like a GeForce2 GTS 64Mb or if you can stretch it i'd go for a GeForce4 Ti4200 128Mb.

You can always upgrade your mobo, CPU & RAM later.