• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Neo2 divider issue?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cheator

Well, my DFI ultra-d needs to be RMAed, so in the mean time my opty is sitting in my neo2 with it's stock cooler.. It seemes to be working well, OCed to 2500 mhz on stock voltages. However I can't go further cause of my vlaueram i have. Its corsair, so I am running it at about 230 mhz and it has a heatsink on it. when i go further though, it doesn't want to work.

So when i set the divider down a notch, to 133, it gets even worse. My system won't even boot into windows if my ram is above 160 mhz i think. And the OC won't go farther than something like 2300mhz. Whats the deal? anyone have any issues like this?

Do you have your HT frequency Multi at 3x? Also, I encountered a problem using a divider with some older HyperX that I had. Newer HyperX and my current ram both work fine. The Neo2 is very, very picky about ram and it just may have an issue with your chips.

Hey Rseven. Yeah it is at 3x. I don't think it could be the ram, and i reckon it is the board, but itbaffles me. it runs better when oced more :)

Try to put the Ram from your other rig in the neo 2 to make sure its the board.

But yeah its probably the board.

I can second the fact that the board is a bit odd, just had to RMA mine after it stopped working in dual channel mode. The RMA has taken over 20 working days so far, not sure if I should just give up and get a new board.

found404 said:
I can second the fact that the board is a bit odd, just had to RMA mine after it stopped working in dual channel mode. The RMA has taken over 20 working days so far, not sure if I should just give up and get a new board.
Yes, the S in MSI is not for service. You will get it though, so hang in there.

found404 said:

I RMA'd my board and it took awhile to get back.Took about a month including shippping. These guys like to take their time. Heres a screen of the completed process.

msi8ax.jpg

Lol

Yeah the Neo2 is a challenge, it will test your metal. My brother has basically the same setup as the rig in my sig, except for Crucial XMS ram and a BlueStorm AX500-A PSU in his (great PSU btw).
Well my Bro was running at about 2.6GHz for 6-7 months then the dual channel just quit. Slot 1 went bad, then slot 3. I suggested he get an Asrock for now and RMA the Neo2 because everyone has said how long it takes, and that there is a good chance he will get another "less than optimal" replacement.
I hope you get a "good" ( I use this term loosely) one.
P.S. Hiya rseven

Hi Bhugarov. Merry Christmas!
The Neo2 has some temperment in common with the DFI line. Very finicky, like Morris the cat.

Well thanks for the support guys; been well over a month now still no board.

Guess it's due to the holidays.

I've got a Neo 4 I'm building here ,I have a similiar problem with the RAM divider on 133 & RAM speed over ~160MHz (DDR 400 Crucial)
It would randomly not boot ,after fiddling with some settings I cured it (I think) by increasing the chipset voltage to 1.6v (from 1.5).Did you try that?.Inccidently I noticed this problem was worse with 2 RAM sticks (dual channel) ,it was ok at 290MHz FSB SC.

Btw so far it seems happy with its Opty 146 @2.85GHz :)
I only found out about mass problems for MSI after I came here :(,I only hope it doesn't die on me as its a PC I'm building for mate! :eek:

any speed on that particular divider doesn't like to boot. However 1 divider below that, 100, works perfectly fine... Anyway, I gave up on OCing it for now. Once my DFI comes back I can get a better picture on how this opty can clock.

If it makes you feel any better, Assimilator1, I have had this Neo2 clocked at 9x282 for almost a year now and it hasn't died. It is quirky and jerky, but not bad for a turkey.:)

heheh

Well it seems that even with 1.6v (&1.65v) that it still occasionally won't bootup/restart :( ,& yea this mbrd works perfectly at 100 RAM setting too.

Is this a common fault with the Neo 4 too? (maybe I should start a new thread.....)

Back